View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #31
adlp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Survey: Define "good" music.

0. What is/are your favorite genre(s)?

http://www.last.fm/user/adlpeazy/library#p1

1a. What do you consider good music, either in general or in concrete examples?

something that people enjoy themselves is good music

1b. How about bad music?

horribly written/no musical skill involved/ and not catchy enough to be a simple pop song.

2. Are you biased against some genres because of the fans they tend to attract?

yes

3a. Do you make assumptions about fans of particular genres?

who wouldnt

3b. What are some of the stereotypes you are familiar with?

justin bieber fans being justin bieber fans

3c. What stereotypes exist about fans of your preferred genre?

that all they do is yell

4. What role does a band/artist/genre's popularity play in your like or dislike for them/hir/it?

yes i used to enjoy skrillex back from when he was in FFTL and now he's everywhere and his fanbase is annoying

5. Do you think you have good taste in music?

i have amazing taste

6. How objective do you think you are when you judge music?

very. i can pick out and appreciate the talent in genres i don't listen to (like country)

7. Do you judge artists/bands on their entire body of work, or on a song-by-song basis?

song by song

8. Do you consider your choice of music part of your identity, image or public persona?

no im not in high school bro

9. Have you ever made choices in music based on what your peers might think of you? (For example, do you avoid a certain genre because your friends think it is without merit? Do you listen to genres you don't particularly like because your friends like them?, etc.)

lol no

10a. How do you feel/react when someone states an opinion contrary to yours regarding music in general?

depends on how knowlegeable they are about their subject. from an elevated point of view, you can always distinguish a specific reason between liking something and not liking something

10b. What about particular songs/artists/genres?

i'll defend artists i like because they are good musicians

11. Do you have formal musical training? (Such as receiving singing lessons, playing an instrument, etc.)

playing/composing:
guitar - 8 years
mandolin- 2 years
ukulele- 2 years
piano- 5 years

12. Who influences your choice of music most? How do you find new music? Through which channels? Through advertising/word of mouth/YouTube/reviews/other?

friends and youtube

13a. Have your tastes or preferences changed over time?

a little bit

14. Anything you'd like to add on this subject? Any other questions you wish I'd posed?

am i on myspace again wtf choofers