View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 07:03 PM   #5
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: March/April Set 2

Thanks for reviewing my file! Fixes have been sent.

Some responses:

Quote:
OFFSET 0.0169 works better, rest of review uses this offset. (+0.009)
So more recently, goldstinger and I were investigating the differences in syncing between the ArrowVortex editor and SM 3.9 editor. I was learning how to use AV, and so I decided to see how syncing to the waveforms compare to me syncing by my trusty ears on 0.3x-0.5x music speed and assist tick on SM 3.9. Multiple times I've found out that syncing on AV to the waveform does NOT coordinate to SM 3.9 for some strange reason. I would assume syncing should be the same, but it doesn't feel that way to me. I placed your suggested offset in SM 3.9 and it now feels noticeably late, so according to that editor, I'd have to strongly disagree on that suggested sync. Meanwhile, AV lines up with that. I have no idea what offset to believe, but it's likely why judges have consistently suggested nudges to my offset for years. Wish both editing programs could agree more often with the sync as it should be.

Quote:
8.576 Intentionally omitted 48th within this burst? but given the difficulty of the chart later on, may want to just include it
15.641 another possible note between this 64th and the 4th after
I just forgot it, thanks for pointing it out.

Quote:
16.169 prefer moving this off [12] for [14] instead: the sound that went to 2 previously in this bit is not as prominent here, and this percussion hit is noticeably a very different element from the 4th after. They both share a 1 column, which is enough to represent the melody
This is super specific but I can agree on it - thanks.

Quote:
19.613 missing
Not all 64th swings in this song are accounted for, namely the quiet hi-hats. I believe most of the 64ths go to drums/kicks.

Quote:
20.613 PR here could be better; suggest something like 34341[vocal only, no melody, visual break]32, or similar.
Changed this to a different pattern.

Quote:
25.502 jump?
Yep, thank you.

Quote:
33.507 hand feels a bit too much here
Not at all; this goes to the backup singing ("oooooh") which does a great job at adding some further nuance to the song.

Quote:
39.196 why is this a jump?
Drum kick + piano ornament. Actually there should be another arrow in between these two jumps to fully acknowledge the piano, but that's too tight, so this section will be changed to a quick 48th burst.

Quote:
42.752 you haven't done minijacks like this before. It doesn't feel bad, actually, but out of place in the current setup?
Oh, I see, it's a new section thing. In that case, feels like it would make a bit more sense to start it with the start of the new musical section at m21 (i.e. make 39.196 a single, and a minijack too)
It's not a new section thing. It's just a "Whatever I feel like" thing lol. Just mixing up some patterns here, don't mind me. I'm not going to be a stickler on this.

Quote:
m30 is kind of mean, but it all checks out lol
m33 this section was a lot of fun to play on my playthroughs.
Just fyi, it's better to rely on actual time, as measures aren't always the same from one editing program to another. For me, I believe the m30 you're talking about is in m31 on my end, and so on. Glad you like this section.

Quote:
67.946 [134] - same as previous - exact same note and mora (Japanese syllable)
idk, it sounds more like the vocals are descending here.

Quote:
86.974 move this and the following 64th jump to not share with 86.835 - the percussion hit you're layering the 2nd arrow to here does not feature on the 4th
I'm stepping these based on the emphasized kicks here (much like 51.27s).

Quote:
93.041 same as 8.576
Don't think this is the same case. However! You did end up bringing to attention some horns near this area that I missed.

Quote:
111.280, 111.502: for extra fun, consider filling the record scratch that happens right after these
Oh good point.

Quote:
111.502: [14] pr?
It's just a cymbal crash.