View Single Post
Old 07-7-2018, 06:55 PM   #45
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Entropy Gain for per-receptor NPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeLucien View Post
So, on spikes vs natural variance: what I mean by "spike", at least in the context of saying that my old algorithms would rate spiky files way too high, was files such as ABCDEath or TTE which have one disproportionately note-heavy section that overshadows everything else in the file. When I say "natural variance", I mean that some arrows in a long pattern like a stream, jumpstream, or staircase will be harder to hit than others.

What I'm trying to avoid is to see a staircase, get a max range of 2 on up or down as you described, and falsely claim that the staircase is a spike when in reality, it's just a staircase. Whatever metric that is used to determine the rate would have to be able to tell the difference.
There are a few different points in this so I'll try to dissect it as clearly as possible.

You have to have some mathematical definition of your concepts if not used for visualisation only. For example, a spike would be a sudden high density x of notes, at least to my understanding of your description. In a more formal way you could say it's any section with high acceleration (lets use a trivial number like 4). Also btw my metric isn't totally correct for another reason, I'll post a fix to it.

So you then have a trivial definition of a spike. With that, you want to avoid cases where the spike is short (i.e. in a staircase, the two ups or two downs) and constant (the staircase goes on for some time like 2 measures). The reason it's trivial is because first of all there is a trivial threshold to set and also because the length of said spike is not well bounded.

You mention TTE. Take TTE's fastest spot (a rolly burst like 123412341234) and remove everything before it. The acceleration from nothing to that is equal for each receptor, so min = max = x. Now take a staircase 123432123432 with the distance between two up arrows being equal in this and the roll (from a per-receptor perspective, that is most definitely fair). From nothing to it, 2*min = max = x. It would seem that both are identical, however for the comparison to hold the total nps of the spike will be lower on the staircase than on the roll (the amount of notes bewteen the fastest consecutive notes per-receptor being 1 for the staircase and 3 for the roll). Therefore, a distinction Should be made naturally but the spikiness (again, per-receptor!) will be the same according to the trivial definition.

EDIT:
Just to be extra clear, I'll point out that what you refer to as a spike as we all know it is easily defined when using all notes (not per-receptor). There's a quick increase and decrease in the nps of the section and that's it. That metric can be useful, but it's not what I was explaining/arguing in the previous few posts.

Last edited by xXOpkillerXx; 07-7-2018 at 07:01 PM..
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote