View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #38
11brendon
Jesus on the dashboard
D8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Thumbs up Re: How do i get good at this game?

all doz sm tourneys and mpers (competition is good i dont disagree but not in those currently inactive forms)

my best advice:

play every day at least 2 hours, more if you can. its extremely important for developing muscle memory and stamina.

when the game pushes you, dont back down, push back. eg dont back down from files that seem too hard for you, play them through anyway until you are fast enough for them, and when youre fast enough for them, rate up and go even faster, push harder.

practice sucks and is boring. and i might not have mentioned it, but practice sucks and is boring. if you want to get better, you need to put up with long boring sessions where you feel like youre accomplishing nothing. the results will show in a couple weeks and you will be thankful you practiced and trained for that.

training more than one skillset at a time isnt really good for you unless the skillsets have synergy (jumpstream/stamina, tech/jack as examples).

consistency matters. consistent what? not consistent gameplay, but consistently playing the same way every time matters. dont change up your cmod, receptor position, keyboard placement, hand position, whatever the hell variable is possible to change when you play. it is a lot harder to diagnose issues and develop consistency if you change something every time you play. set up settings youre completely comfortable with at the time, have your game window be placed in the same exact place every time if youre not on fullscreen, chair in the same exact place, arms, hands, keyboard, pay attention to where you put everything.

find a rival. my periods of fastest improvement were when i had someone else there pushing me. if you completely outpace your rival or they stop, get a new one asap. you dont even need to have direct communication to your rival. if you just find someone that is close to you in level, try to pass them as much as possible.

DONT VIBRO JACKS dont vibro jacks, if you cant vibro then good for you, if you vibro jacks then you are setting yourself up for complete failure. instead, focus your technique on either wristjacking or elbowjacking (if you dont understand those, the wrist/elbow is the fulcrum point and you move them up and down to hit jacks. for wristjacking, same motion as drawing a line up and down real fast with a pencil or picking a guitar fast)

along with my last point, every single skill falls back on three points: one hand trilling, jacking, and reading. balancing these three skills is hard but if you practice these and get good at them you can take on anything.

lastly i would say take everything i said with a grain of salt. improvement in this game seems to be completely random based off the person and everything i listed worked for me, but a lot i listed doesnt work for others. try out things i listed and if they work for you, they work for you. if they dont, then dont do them. some points like dont vibro and dont change your setup are pretty concrete though, listen to those.

also i noticed people saying things like you have to look out for doing things wrong when it comes to not hurting yourself. the only pains you should worry about at all are sharp pains. those are bad pains. if you have burning sensation pains in your hands or arms while youre playing (not after), thats good, youre building stamina n shit. if you cant feel your thumbs and or pinkys after a session and a few days after, you probably have carpal tunnel and you should buy some wrist splints and see a doctor or something.

i wrote a lot but im assuming a lot of people will read this and hopefully take the time to think about the points ive listed as they are the core points i follow for improvement at sm. i wrote this all off my head within like 20 minutes so it might be hard to follow and if so too bad deal with it