View Single Post
Old 01-10-2022, 04:14 PM   #119
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Yeah Scholar/Summoner is a weird case, I really enjoyed the leveling process as the new Summoner so I just never bothered to unlock Scholar but I know it's 80 too when I feel like doing another class quest chain.
New summoner is the most brain off combat job for sure, I love it. You shift into Maximum Overdrive for 15 seconds then go through all your different colored Legos and use all the charges of each, rinse and repeat. So simple compared to even Dancer, and the procs like Ruin III that you get last forever so you it's trivial to have them line up when you need burst.

Definitely thinking my main role is tank, I enjoy it so much and that's what I've been doing with my static as we work through the old raids (also why I mention pots, I've just been using them in synced Coils because it's a good habit to get into and fights like Nael are still kinda even real after all these years; obviously not necessary but why not have the option available). Warrior and Gunbreaker are my choices while tanking for sure, I love how many cooldowns they have access to at higher levels.
For melee dps I enjoy Samurai even though I'm not great at it. I have a terrible habit of hitting my 1 to start a combo then realizing Meikyo is off CD, so I either need to use Meikyo and accept I wasted a GCD, or delay my Meikyo as I finish the combo, both of which are terrible. Especially since one of my friends basically only plays Ninja and fucking up causes my Meikyo and Tsubame CDs to drift out of his trick attack window. On one hand none of the content I'm playing is hard enough that this wipes us or anything, on the other hand I feel like a moron every time I do it.
My ranged DPS would be Dancer if they didn't feel so terrible to play at the moment, so instead I've been enjoying Machinist too. All three magic dps are fun but we have so many people who want to main these jobs in my friend group that I've not bothered to compete with them for raid spots. Fun to play in content like Bozja though.
I've been a healer main in all other MMOs I've played and it's actually strange that I'm not vibing with healing in this game as much. So much of what you do feels like being a 2-button DPS class who just presses OGCDs between your casts. I really want to be forced to have to hardcast heals... maybe once I get into ShB/Endwalker savages and stuff I will enjoy healing more, but in dungeons and normal trials it's not what I'm looking for.

Overall this game is an absolute banger. Our old content raid static has started up again in earnest so I'm looking forward to being done with Coils and getting into Alexander.

Last edited by hi19hi19; 01-10-2022 at 04:34 PM..
hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote