View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 11:39 PM   #153
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

Day 93: Watching Movies With The Sound Off by Mac Miller (Album Choice: Nemesis)

I dunno, I've never been one to enjoy Caucasian rap. I respect Eminem but his discography is far too hit-or-miss for me to really enjoy, like I'd be damned if even one of his unnecessarily 70 minute albums didn't have 40 minutes of filler. I can dig the Beastie Boys at times, other times they're just annoying. Who else is big in white rap? Macklemore? TRASH. Iggy Azalea? Confirmed TRASH. Vanilla Ice? Limp Bizkit? I think I've made my point clear. Call it discrimination, but I don't really care. I mean, I'm a fan of Beck if that counts as white rap. But either way, I'm definitely gonna go into this with a fresh mind, because I can't remember one damn song from this guy. The closest thing to a song from this guy I remember is his guest verse on Earl Sweatshirt's Guild. That was one of the 2 worst songs on the album. I'll remember a single when I inevitably hear it, because I'm pretty sure at least one of the singles from this album got big.

I haven't heard any singles, but I'm only halfway through. What I can tell you about this album thus far is that it's actually pretty good. I think. The best part of this album by far are the beats, which sound stoned and hazy in the best way possible, often with an array of subtle samples and instruments. There's a wide amount of variety thus far, yet there's a clear theme, and everything is aurally pleasing enough for this album to breeze by relatively quick (which, when you're dealing with 70 minutes, is a VERY good thing). But this isn't an instrumental album. And therein lies literally all of the problem. Mac has a decent voice. Mac has flow. What Mac doesn't have is lyrical talent. Seriously, this may be one of the dumbest releases I've heard lyrically ever that wasn't satirical, this guy's writing skills are barely above a Lil B release, and this guy isn't pooping out a new 2-hour mixtape every 12 days.

When this guy tries to get metaphorical or introspective or whatever, the result is downright laughable. "There's a bird in the sky, look at him fly, why? (repeat why? ad nauseam)" What the hell is that supposed to mean? Am I supposed to go "DAAAAAAMN" or something? That's awful! And that's the least of it. How about "People selling drugs cause they can't find no job, wonder if Christ made a million off selling the cross"? Or try "God loves me, what if he does, what does it mean?". I get more intelligent meaning from Arab On Radar lyrics sheets. Sadly, the hackneyed attempts at being poetic are probably the least cringeworthy aspect of this guy's writing. His braggadocios range from "Spit the shit that leave a diaper brown, poo" " to "Your girl pussy smell like Sour Cream & Onion".

I think the best example of this problem would be REMember. It has a wonderfully melodic hook, a great chilled out beat with a mediocre guitar solo placed so well as to make it sound amazing, and smooth lazy delivery of what could be some of the most dreadful lyrics ever. I said "wow" when that guitar came in, and I said "What the hell why" when I heard "You had a girl, I kinda wish you knocked her up, so I could meet your son and talk you up".

I'm really torn on this album. I'm probably just gonna go with my benchmark rating, but seriously, lyricism is very important to hip-hop, and here it's absolutely dreadful. I don't think I've given enough credits to the beats, they're seriously wonderful most of the time. A few songs here and there lack, but this album definitely feels shorter than 70 minutes and it's all thanks to the beats. The dreamlike, psychedelic atmosphere with all those little touches (guitars, field recordings, bongos, cowbell, synths of all varieties, well actually not as much variety as I thought but whatever) really make this album enjoyable. Instrumental wise.

But those rhymes are ASS. Ugh I'm conflicted. Not on rating, I've already decided on a solid benchmark. I'm more conflicted on whether this one is worth keeping or not. An instrumental version would be most pleasing.

Best Track: I Am Who I Am (Killin' Time)
Rating: 6/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote