View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #63
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

Day 26: Akuma no Uta by Boris (Album Choice: noname219)

I don't think these guys need an introduction, as anyone who cares about the type of music they make have inevitably heard of them. I myself, while having yet to hear a single song of theirs, have heard their name being spit all over EVERY FREAKING METAL SITE, or well... At least mentioned. They definitely are spit all over sludge and drone metal circles though (hooray for Melvins worship), and they toured with Nine Inch Nails among other bands. Anyone who doesn't care doesn't care.

Day 12 of the Pledge: Still camping... and HOLY MOTHER EFF I am starting to lose it. Last night, it got so bad I had to download Opera Mini on my phone because Google decided to be an asshole to me and remove the Disable Images from Chrome Android. YUP I am that far gone! Why does it feel worse now than the first few days?

Hmm... is there any punny title at all for Japanese metal? Like Japanoise except metal? Japasludge?* Holy crap that looks horrible never mind.

So, to explain the albums sound. First track is titled Introduction and is a nice little drone metal track, ten fairly calm minutes. The fourth track, album centerpiece and other long track is Naki Kyoku, which is 12 minutes of gorgeous Hendrixian stoner jamming. The other 4 tracks are sludgy, noisy punk songs with the filthiest guitar tone you would desire. The amount of gain and distortion is ridiculous, but ridiculous to very pleasant extents, and the levels of noise reach gorgeously ugly levels, the best example being the climax of Furi.

6 tracks and 40 minutes later, this album hits all the right spots for me, equally expansive and concise, with enough parts drone, sludge, noise and punk to satisfy all my desires. Sometimes the guitar tone gets overwhelming, and the vocalist isn't the greatest there is but why complain about that in sludge metal? Since I have a tendency to enjoy sludge this most certainly gets my recommendation.

This sounds absolutely nothing like Bryter Layter.

Best Track: Furi
Rating: 8/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote