Old 01-1-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219
Default bet...

Quote:
Video game songs are usually more known by the game rather than the composer - it wouldn't make much sense to attribute a "remixed by" for every one of those songs (would be more problematic for medleys). I think "remixed by/feat./vs" is appropriate for other songs, as I've seen them used by other artists, and we must remember to attribute appropriate credit to the song.
Side note: "&" seems to be the only acceptable character to use when attributing multiple simfile artists, as that will automatically create a link to those simfile artists.
That was one of the main things I wasn't sure what we could do with. I do believe for video game music we should only have the remixer in the author description. It would be quite tedious to have everyone listed obviously.
As for author names, I tried to use a simple system. There's some contradictions between some sources, so this might lead to some mistakes. Again, the attribution should be the one the artist uses the most.

Quote:
How do you know the capitalization was what they intended? Quite often, when I do see Japanese composers post English titles, they are often in lowercase - or at the very least, they don't seem to be as picky as English artists.
That's a good question and honestly, I really don't know.
There's not a lot of cases where the Japanese artist proposes his translation. Eventually, I agree we should use his translation.
There's other cases where we have no choice to romanize the song names, if that happens, in those cases, I do believe it is better to meet capitalization.
I should rewrite that paragraph.

Quote:
Most of the time, it is listed on the song title, so I don't see too much of a problem there.
Like I said, case per case. If there's contradicting sources, we should use the most official.
I will reword that paragraph.

Quote:
I believe /^o^\ can be entirely displayed correctly (I tested this myself a few months ago). For R/\IN, the converting of the title of RAIN would create yet another identity issue, so you'll need to specify the artist (there are several "rain" songs). If it helps, you might want to consult Velocity or Zageron to confirm which characters are displayable or not. That might help you in sorting the titles that are acceptable.

I really hope though that Velocity or Zageron could find a way to provide substitute values for a select few songs. That would definitely be preferable, not only in the correctness of the song, but ease in finding it too.

And finally, I'd like to mention here that the Ingame Song Information thread is severely lacking in general publicity. It is a nearly dead thread, and I feel that proper, correct info should be more well-known. Whether someone wants to make a new thread, or have another innovative idea, I'd like some ideas.
If I remember well, R/\IN has a delta sign instead of the A. Pretty sure this one doesn't display well on the Legacy engine.
My main problem was with the in-game search. Unless we have a change to use substitue values, it is tedious (for me at least) to try to find those songs. That limitation was the main reason I did this proposition.
About the Ingame song information, I still use it from time to time and it is very outdated. That's a lot of work down there so I don't want to force anything on anyone. Like I said to Kayla via PM, I did have all the information avalaible here. This might be a good starting point.

Quote:
Disagree. I think the song should have its correct title (unless overly lengthy and technical, as several classical songs are), and the incorrect title could be posted in the dead/inferior ingame song information thread.
What I'm thinking is to make a front page post to let everyone know that a number of changes were made to FFR's songs. They can then be directed to this thread and become informed. After a while, people will get to recognize songs by their proper titles for once. There'll definitely be a transitionary period before that happens though.
Wasn't sure about this too. At first, I found a change like this could be really drastic. I agree we should have the proper name displayed. I just really didn't know the output from other members about this.

Quote:
Certain genres might be written differently (e.g. DnB) due to the limited number of characters I'm able to input into the genre parameter. The best case scenario is to ask Velocity to somehow extend the character limit.
I was aware of this. Looks like the current max number if 20.
Southern Cross is displayed as "Epic Progressive Roc" while Kanon Medley is "Epic Prog. Rock". Makes thing weird. I proposed using a different genre instead of shortcutting genres. (in this case "Power Metal")

Quote:
Be aware that there's a risk that artists of whom we've asked permission for long ago may not remember giving permission to FFR, and may force FFR to retract their songs if they somehow don't like their presence on this site. Same goes with featured artists due to CC or other common permissions of which we did not give direct contact. Even if these artists gave permission at one point or implied permission/non-issue, there's always a chance they will change their mind if you try to bring this site back to light. All in all, I think it's a risky prospect to ask every artist about FFR. I don't recommend it unless necessary. They might still recognize the site, or they might treat FFR like a complete stranger again. One very possible scenario: over the years, such artists may have since ended up on labels and may want to remain "safe" by not allowing permissions of any sort.
Hmmm, didn't think about this. Even if we feel it's necessary, I don't think we should contact them to ask their opinion about this. Far too risky. Eventually, we'll find most of the answers from the web and if we can't, it will simply stay like this.

Quote:
To be honest, a lot of genres attempt to encompass the song as best as possible while representing any differentiation.
e.g. "Click House" is really just 8-bit or glitchy/electronica music with a house beat - Press Start definitely has that distinct beat that other songs on FFR labelled as "Chiptune" doesn't have.
Another thing to note is that some songs have genres as specified by the artist him/herself (e.g. the song genre for BEER is and WILL remain as "Collage Techno", not "College Techno" or "Techno" or anything else as such) or was originally derived from another rhythm game (e.g. Kick Your A is a remix of the song "A" from DDR/IIDX, and that song's genre is "Renaissance").

In other words, there will be some limitations when it comes to make genre changes.
I wasn't aware of most if not all of the limitations concerning genres.
And I did genre changes when it's obvious it was wrong (on a subjective POV). You'll find that most of those changes are under the rock and metal genres, because that's the music I know most of. Didn't really touch Electronic. I'm planning to do a genre database to have a better understanding of what genre we could be using.
About Kick Your A, if it's a remix, can we use another genre ?

I'll also rework on this text now that I know your instance of most of this.
Thanks a lot for reading this.

EDIT : Minor corrections to this post.
EDIT2 : Made some more corrections to the first post concerning the guidelines of this project.

Last edited by noname219; 02-13-2013 at 07:15 PM..
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote