View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 11:42 PM   #5
mewtikz
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Re: can opinions be true or false? what is an opinion exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl View Post
people say "that's just your opinion" like this means a person's statement is less true. but, how much less true does this really make a statement? many true things seem to be opinions; put differently, many medical opinions, judicial opinions, social opinions and so on seem to be beliefs that can be looked at on a scale of true/false. in other words, saying something is "just an opinion" doesn't seem to be saying much about it.

my take on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv-EVeX70pA
"That's just your opinion" means nothing. People say this when they are met with someone asserting something like it's fact. They have no particular argument against it, but it goes against their presupposed notions so they don't feel like it could be true. If you're faced with someone that says "that's just your opinion," then either they're not worth your time, or you need to explain the train of reason that led you to that assertion.

It's not necessarily that they're distinguishing between fact vs opinion, but rather that what you perceive is a fact does not line up with their world view.

I don't think you really need to dive into epistemology over someone saying this I guess?