View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 03:40 AM   #10
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Official Tier Point System Thread

I had an idea that I think would make the TP system more fair (better at judging comparative skill). It won't require much extra work, either.

Essentially my proposal is this: remove all non-FC points. No matter how hard a song is, the lowest FC tier would be worth only 1 point, and any points after that would be based on PA. As an example from the old ranks, a low 11 like Epidermis might have ranks like this:
(1) 100 or fewer (2) 40 or fewer (3) 20 or fewer (4) 7 or fewer (5) 2 or fewer (6) AAA
but, a high 12 like Almost There could have ranks like this:
(1) 200 or fewer (2) 100 or fewer (3) 40 or fewer (4) 20 or fewer (5) 9 or fewer (6) 3 or fewer (7) AAA
The harder a song is to PA (if you can FC it), the more accuracy points there would be, up to a maximum of 9 if necessary.

Here are some benefits I see:
- Mashing FCs will no longer give you a huge boost in points compared to people who can't mash as well. If you're not skilled enough to PA a song, you probably wouldn't be getting more than 1 TP from it.
- In the same vein, this system doesn't encourage people to mash, because it rewards an improvement on PA as much as a new FC. The old system rewards a new FC a lot more, if it's a difficult one.
- The limit of 9 points per song won't be a problem anymore - you can have easy and hard requirements in the same system. Right now, if you want requirements that challenge the best players, you have to knock everything down a point, but with this idea you can have a very easy 1-point req for a low 11, while still having ridiculous reqs on DP and RATO.
- If you can support both very easy and very hard requirements, you also create a system that is relevant to both lower players (starting to FC 10s and 11s) and godly players (AAAing most FGOs).
- Since this system is only PA-based, it totally gets rid of arbitrary point-based tiers.
- If completely PA-based scoring (where you don't need to FC) ever gets implemented, this idea will lend itself really well to that, but the current system won't. If everything is based on PA, it will all still make sense.

Here are some downsideS:
- All 1/x point (and so on) will no longer be the same difficulty. However, keeping them the same isn't as important as making sure the total TPs accurately reflect skill, and PA is skill.
- This system does extra well with a wider difficulty range (say high 10 and up, rather than mid 11 and up), so it wouldn't be used optimally if you just have the hardest 120 songs. I'd recommend choosing a good number of representative songs to use, rather than trying to stay updated with the latest FGOs.
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote