View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #37
samurai7694
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Hurricane Florence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
That said though your infrastructure is probably not build with the goal of passing the kind of specs ours are down here. I can't help but feel like this is gonna be a repeat of New Jersey where they got destroyed by a cat 1.
This is important to keep in mind. Also RIP I just typed up a big response and I accidentally closed the tab.

So condensed version: DO NOT TAKE A HURRICANE LIGHTLY ESPECIALLY A CATEGORY 4. I stayed home with my family during Irma, and while it was a Cat 4 my area only took wind speeds on par with a Cat 1-2. I do not recommend gambling with this though. We were insanely lucky. You don't really know the path the hurricane will take until maybe 24 hours before at the earliest. It was still enough to cut power for 8 days and wreck our fences. We also stayed home during Hurricane Wilma in 2005 and that was a Cat 3 which managed to knock down a tree that was on my front yard in addition to power loss and shortage of water/food.

Whichever place you're staying at, make sure it's enough to withstand a hurricane. Keep all of your most valuable items with you and stock up on lots of water and food ASAP (hopefully that's taken care of by now). Stay safe, bro.
samurai7694 is offline   Reply With Quote