View Single Post
Old 07-1-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Daily Music Reviews (Summer Challenge)

Day 4: Alien Youth by Skillet

I remember hating on Skillet when I was a few years younger, on the basis that Christian Metal is an alien concept to me and that I found their music really bland. I'm about to switch away from my Dinosaur Jr just to listen to this and see how my opinions have changed.

The dudes voice sort of annoys me... And what are these lyrics? Jesus domination? I had to turn down the volume after 2 minutes. Kept going. More lyrical oddities. See a whole nation living without sin? I had to give up after 3 tracks. This gives me the idea of Nickelback becoming born-again Christians and then attempting heavier songs with a slightly more talented vocalist. And a better guitarist who can play more than 3 power chords. And superior drums. That's not really Nickelback at that point though so I don't know where the reminder comes from. Maybe it's the bassline? Who gives a damn cause I'm still stopping after 3 songs (which is what I would do if I were to review Nickelback). Perhaps I should've listened to people and waited for A. the softer songs or B. female vocals, but I already have had enough I think. Either it's the heat, or this album is giving me a headache. I'm gonna go listen to those jazzy Nujabes instrumentals and move onto the next album once my head clears. In the mean time, click on this link and look for Family Force 5 if you want anymore of my opinion on this.

MISSION ABORTED. TRY AGAIN.

Day 4: The Strange Case Of... by Halestorm (Album Choice: TwistedChaos95)

After listening to some Nujabes and Aphex Twin and turning on the AC, I'm ready for more Metal music. Ambient music makes a good palate cleanser and that heat was killing me. I know absolutely NOTHING about this band so wish me luck. I do know this is the shortest album yet at 40:29, and that they play alt. metal and post-grunge. That's about it.

The first 2 songs are pretty decent. The guitar can be boring at times, but when they get experimental it's a lot better. The (female) singer's growly deep voice somehow reminds me of Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth. I'm not keen on it being in metal, I keep thinking "why isn't this noise rock?" Hopefully that will change.

The uneasiness with the singer continued, then track 5 hits, and I'm far more enamored with the vocals then before, and that trend seems to continue onto track 6. Track 7, Break In, is a piano ballad. Totally unexpected, but it further highlights the vocal talent. In the middle of this song, I've come to the conclusion that the vocalist is best with soft songs. A touch of acoustic guitar, this is probably my choice of album highlight, if only because I'm beginning to grow a fondness for The Dresden Dolls. American Boys is another highlight with a vague bit of a Southern Rock, ZZ Top feel. Vague I must repeat.

These bonus tracks mean my point is moot. They seem to be the same. Another hard rocker/metal track, another piano ballad turned to hard rock/metal, and another one with the longest solo on the album. I don't feel like reviewing this part. Everything I've said and will say applies.

I definitely prefer this album over Skillet. The girls voice was shaky at first, but later on became the main thing separating this alt. metal band from many others. The instrumentation can get boring at times, but when they take it in a different direction it's a lot more appealing. Overall, it's an inoffensive, average alt. metal/post-grunge album brought to much higher territory with the power of a female vocalist, something sorely lacking in this genre. They could do with some more interesting guitar work though.

I'm going to take a nap now, because I still have a headache. Christ.

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote