View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 08:57 PM   #3
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: 2019 September/October Set 1

Quote:
- 9.05s,11.05s: it's interesting that you step some jumps here, but subsequently some more prominent sounds are ignored, such as at 14.55s,15.55s. The addition of those jumps alternating with single arrows early on gave me the impression that a beginner player is already expected to be ever so slightly used to the game already, so I think the addition of a few prominent sounds later on wouldn't hurt.
I actually think on reflection I'd rather take the jumps out over adding more jumps elsewhere, pushing it towards a 1 is preferable.

Quote:
- 22.05s: I still would hope for some pitch relevancy, however little arrows are present in the file. For example, this one being a left arrow.
The most pitch relevent thing to do for 22.05s given what I was stepping to at this time would be no arrow at all. The instrument repeating notes in this sequence is simply absent on that beat, but I chose to continue the stream rather than leave the blank or step a different noise. I'd prefer to leave it in as a down arow rather than a left, but if it really feels bad to you, I'd be more prone to remove it.

Quote:
- 35.05s,51.05s: this arrow feels arbitrary, but I can't say anything bad if its intent is to add a beginner's degree of variety/challenge.
I've removed those two arrows, but they were indeed intended to be placed there more as a pattern/stream continuation tool rather than be explicitly mapped to a sound. Look at it this way and see if it feels better.

Quote:
- 38.55s,etc.: for pitch relevancy's sake, should already be a down arrow. And perhaps 39.55s can descend to the left as well.
Done

Quote:
Summary: Pitch relevancy should improve, and I think this can easily be accomplished without compromising the difficulty you intend to preserve. Beginners might as well get used to the fact that arrows generally play according to how the song sounds like, after all.
It was, in my mind, pitch relevant as presented. I actually prioritize pitch relevancy at all difficulties, here included. We parsed a different change in pitch in the 4/4/3/3/2/2/2 runs which I've modified to the 4/4/3/2/2/1/1 you proposed. The couple notes that -weren't- directly tied to a pitch of a noise were done for both helpingnew players keep the beat and also help transition the PR across to new starting points.

Thank you for your evaluation, hopefully the updated version does better.

Quote:
3.00s,13.67s,19.00s: single arrow, as the bass note plays on the subsequent 4th at 3.33s.
Done

Quote:
8.33s,9.16s,9.66s: single arrow
That sequence being all jumps was intentional as a pattern choice, rather than blending melody with bass notes. If that isn't okay as a choice, I can change it, but at the moment, I'd like to leave that as is.

Quote:
22.00s,etc.: why not continue the jumps to the layering of the bass and main melody
Because I don't want the difficulty of the song to be higher

Quote:
29.63s,etc.: the portamento you're stepping comes slightly later, starting on the 4th and ending in your 32nd. However, I find the one at 44.29s a bit questionable and that one could go without it.
That one at 44.29 is cut, and on reflection I'm not sure why it was in there at all

Quote:
57.50s: reversed the pitch relevancy
Corrected

Quote:
63.84s: can do better PR
Maybe there's a like...accepted standard of which jumps are "lower" than each other, but what I had there felt like it was PR descending in order, but like I said, if there's an accepted standard for like, whether [24] is actually lower than [23] or something, please correct me.

Quote:
68.67s: single note
I'm not sure why this wants to be a single note? It's the same descending jumps that I used just previously onto the 6 note descending structure

Quote:
73.51s,73.84s: jump
Corrected

Quote:
Summary: Overall easy to follow song, with the quick 32nd gallops providing a slight challenge. However, please adjust those gallops to begin on the even beat instead of starting as a 32nd.
The 32nds should all be in the right order now!