Old 08-21-2014, 10:35 PM   #11
M0nkeyz
Simfile Judge
Simfile JudgeDifficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: BPM changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Halogen View Post
I see where your problem lies.

When you have a song like this where there's a clear break in the percussion that's holding the tempo after a clear speed change, it might be worthwhile to figure out the BPM further into the song, and use that BPM as the tempo for the given are.

Listening here, the BPM takes a pretty reasonable drop at 1:30, so that's where the first sync challenge will be. Once you sync that slowdown, you don't have much to work with for generalizing a pace. Try getting the BPM at 2:07 in, and then see if you can apply that BPM at 1:30ish to see if it works (or is reasonably close).

From experience, I will tell you that Step's music is a little easier than your typical orchestral pieces to sync, but that also takes into account that most orchestral music is brutally hard to sync because it's never constant. Do your best to keep everything lined up with your percussion. If you are synced to your percussion properly and some sort of instrument decides to play a very imprecise rhythm, do not feel you absolutely have to change the BPM to make it "properly" colored.

Anyone who has performed in some sort of band/ensemble should tell you that percussion is always the one leading the tempo, and in many cases you should apply that theory to your syncing structure.

EDIT: if you're not doing so already, it might be time to start learning how to use DDream Studio. If you are using it, utilize your assist tick, lower rates, and subbeats to help you out.
I did BPM shifts manually to the percussion and it worked out great!
thanks for the tip
M0nkeyz is offline   Reply With Quote