View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

Default X-Mod Hell: MAX 888

I know - it's a MAX song (or rather, a glitchy remix of one) - hear me out. For those of you who are familiar with my stepping style I almost exclusively step jazz and metal (as well as various sub-genres in those areas). Normally I wouldn't be caught dead stepping a MAX song, however I discovered this song years ago back in the days when the FFR simfile database was still up and running, and I immediately realized how crazy a file stepped to this song could be. But despite its incredible potential to be a balls-hard X-Mod simfile, nobody else had come out with anything decent - every sim made for this song was absolute trash. I myself tried stepping it back in late '08, but at the time I lacked the skill and experience to properly step a song of this caliber...and the half-finished product wasn't that good either.

So after thinking about that simfile, I decided to give it another go and step it again as a more experienced sim artist, and after a solid 14-16 hours of work, it's finished. It's not perfect - I know the really distorted parts of the song aren't 100% perfectly synced, but they're close enough to where you can't tell unless you slow it down, and even then it's synced very closely to the glitchy sound effects. A few stops and bpm changes might be a bit iffy (I've never been a pro at creating X-mod files), but overall I'm very pleased with how this turned out, and with the amount of effort I put into making this I hope that shows when you play it.

--------------------------------------
A breakdown of the different charts:

Standard - 5

This is a very simplified version of this song. Light layering, simple patterns (index friendly!) and no exceptionally difficult sections make this an easy file anybody can enjoy. Highly recommended for getting the hang of the wild bpm tricks, stops and negative bpm stuff.

The layering in this chart is different from the other two, and as such the steps at many points are quite a bit different from what you'd find in Heavy and Oni, which essentially have identical layering schemes.

Number of notes: 1571

+++++

Heavy - 8

Much more layered than Standard, Heavy introduces you to the broken jumpstream and jumptrills that are seen even more in Oni. The patterns are still easier, as it doesn't have the jacks and complicated bursts present in the hardest chart. There are no mines or hands, and the patterns are simplified somewhat, in particular in the mid-song slowdown. This chart is a good intermediary between the relatively easy Standard and the insane Oni.

Number of notes: 1927

+++++

Oni - 10

This chart has it all - mines, hands and quads, jacks, fake notes...this is one hell of a challenge. AA this on X-mod and you can have my babies, despite the fact that I'm a guy.

The layering on this chart is very dense in many spots, and the patterns are more complicated and tricky to nail - watch out for the slowdown, bursts and the stop-and-go 8ths!

Number of notes: 2108 (a few of these are fake though hehe)
------------------------------------

Fun fact: despite the name, no part of this song actually runs at 888 bpm.

Click here to download:
Max 888 Download

A note before you play: this simfile is meant to be played on X-mod - it looks very strange on a C-mod especially in the parts with negative bpms. I recommend playing on 1x (unless you play on a really high C-mod with hallway or something, in which case you might be able to handle 1.25x or so). I say this because much of the song runs at a very high bpm, averaging between mid 700s-low 800s.

Additional notes:

The offset tends to get ****ed up during compression, pressing F12 once usually fixes it, of course it can vary by person. Also, I don't take credit for the graphics - to be honest, I have no idea who made them. I ripped them from some random MAX 888 sim I found on stepmania.com, and I know he didn't make them either because I've seen those same graphics on simfiles much older than his.

Constructive criticism and feedback is appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: png 888.png (13.3 KB, 0 views)

https://soundcloud.com/bynary-fission/tell-us-who-you-are-battle-tower-royale-character-creation-screen

Last edited by Bynary Fission; 02-8-2024 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: 2015 update: re-uploaded the simfile to a new database as the old link no longer works.
Bynary Fission is offline   Reply With Quote