Old 06-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #71
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: OoT

Spoiler cause the images make the post really big
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Enigma View Post
edit: FF7 was made before OOT, and featured way cleaner looking GFX that focused on 3D with very little 2D support.
Oh hey nice emulator screencap and it still looks jaggedy as fuck.

Quote:
Would you look at how clean these textures are???
Nice pre-rendered background, very real time.

Quote:
Oh man Xenogears you and your fully 3D environments <3
Xenogears as far as I can tell is mostly boxy models with pixel edge textures so naturally that's going to look quite crisp cause it's basically 2D pixel art slapped on precisely measured box models. Also heavy use of sprites. Not that it doesn't look good but it's really not as impressive tech wise.

Quote:
damn PS1 you used Sprites as textures and it didn't look like shit!
Similar story here, lots of repepetetive elements and tileable textures much like how a 2D pixel art game would be made with some elements of 3D. Both games are pretty far away from the elements too. Again, not as impressive tech-wise.

Quote:
but this

is better than this

right?

this

was obviously better than

and

was clearly superior to

dunno!

You're basically cherry picking examples at this point and taking incomparable examples (pre-rendered environments/3D + pixel art hybrids etc vs real-time rendering) while also ignoring impressive factors such as the fact that mario kart 64 is the 7th released game on the n64 (released in 1996) and it's 8 fucking mb in size while gran turismo is a whopping 320 mb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Or Beyond the Mind's Eye from 1993 (I watched the shit out of this as a kid), which was a showcase of some advanced graphics tech at the time:

Beyond the Mind's Eye was is amazing haha. I loved watching it.

Last edited by Nullifidian; 06-12-2014 at 05:31 PM..
Nullifidian is offline   Reply With Quote