View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #24
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: 2019 September/October Set 5

- 13.930: I can see the PR in this sequence, but the repeated left arrow looks a little strange given that the same melodic repeat/pattern deviation at 15.219 doesn’t carry that; percussion is all the same too, so that’s slightly anomalous

Fixed

- 14.731: for more accuracy, pitch bend should be accented by placing the 48th after, not before

Fixed

- 16.508: not the same note as 16.274 - moving it to a [D] will remove the strange repeated note and gave you better PR overall

Nice one, fixed

- 17.094/18.031: missing jump for snare (you do this earlier)

Had to recheck if I really wanted these, decided yes now haha

- 18.500: oof, that’s a nasty (albeit brief spike). Technically accurate with your layering scheme, though it might look a bit better accent-wise to make 18.735/19.203 doubles instead of triples, since the other two notes actually have cymbal crashes on them.

Agreed, fixed

- 19.613: sound is quite subtle to force this jarring of a motion and actually isn’t a repeated sample, might be nicer to break the mini-jack here

Moved the 16th to (4)

- 20.375 to 27.875: trying clearing up your layering/structure a bit to give maximal accenting towards the repeating notes in the melody - it looks a bit cluttered because some instances of repeated notes are very easily spotted (21.078, 22.719, 24.828, 26.469), and others are a bit ambiguous (21.899, 22.133, 23.188, etc)

That was a hard fix oof, I think I did ok changing things around, lemme know

- 27.875 to 31.391: jumps are a little ambiguous here too - I understand the deliberate omission of the snares in the structure and giving emphasis to the kicks, but some other jumps seem a bit out of place (are you following the “hey!” vocal?)

Fixed, the jumps now go to all basskicks and snares, and adapted ~PR~ for those (not following "hey" there)

- 40.063 to 52.063 -> 52.063 to 1:05.616: I love the first half of this section for sure; fits the grungy hard feel of the song and is brutally layered; however, the second half of this is so underwhelming for a section that still contains what you were following earlier on with such aggressive layering - I understand not wanting to make things messy, but it might be more cohesive if you find a way to incorporate that aggressive layering when the 24ths aren’t being played so that it feels like it’s a better part of that section

Ok this is Very oof. I triiiiiied, but man it's hard to not make things weird af to hit there...

- as a note: that second half solid in terms of PR, rhythms and layering in current state, it’s just very underlayered compared to the previous section is all

See above. In any case, I hope that if you dont really like the fix we can either keep the underwhelming version for those or you can provide some suggestions. I did my best, and sent it to Samurai for double check.

- 1:05.616: I actually really like this transition into the next section; it’s visually memorable, super jarring, and just fits to get back into the swing of things, kudos

Thanks !

- 1:09.483: unlike earlier at 14.731, the pitch bends into the note and not out of it, therefore the 48ths should come before the actual rhythm in this case; also - switching the triple at 1:09.366 in a way that allows you to make this flam at 1:09.483 a [u]/[R] will give you a complete pitch relevance for that little phrase which is always nice

Nope, they definitely are fine there; yes the pitch bends into them but the actual rhythm is correct (i.e. bends into the 48ths, you can clearly hear it at 20-10%). Did fix the PR though.

- 1:14.054 to 1:28.819: so, normally I’d knock you for a pattern structure like this when the melody returns — however, with the addition of the repeating vocal sample, that “bounceback” pattern between hands just feels so right to play through in that section that I can’t really find it in me to penalize for it. It feels great to play and is appropriately interrupted with the sample stops - instead of being a detriment to the file through improper relevance to other elements, it becomes a memorable section.

Props to Samurai for the base beat there, I agree it's really fun even though it's less accurate

- 1:46.632: move this to a different jump so you don’t have two [LD] jumps representing two different percussive elements

Fixed along with some other small variety added in that section

- 2:48.733: totally not a big deal here, but I’d totally make this a quad, it’s a super jarring interruption to what is otherwise a very soft section, haha

Done, it's a nice meme sound lmao, does deserve a meme quad

- 2:51.296: I like the repeating jack motif that shows up here like I do at 1:14.054; however, you might be hitting the point at which players are feeling like the song is getting a bit repetitive since they heard this exact melody a minute ago and brief portions of it are direct copy/paste (2:54.811 to 2:57.507/3:01.960 to 3:03.366 and 3:04.421 to 3:05.421); perhaps the patterning can be switched to be a bit different (maybe [LU]/[DR] for the jumps?)

Idk, I really enjoy the [12]'s and [34]'s personally and to me it gives a break from the less appealing splitjumps; not changing this

- 3:11.393: missing note (you accent this at 3:11.862)

Fixed

- 3:16.843: aaaaa, ok - I hear what you’re following here, but think about the motion that has to be played to accent this barely audible thing; this is a bit too jarring

Changed to 24ths

- 3:19.538: missing jump for melody?

Yep, fixed

- 3:26.746: might be a little rough at 265 BPM to do anything other than 3-note splits…

Fixed

- despite how long the notes are for this, this chart is actually quite solid! There are a lot of places where things can be polished up and approached a bit more effectively, but I can see this file being accepted as is, personally.

Thanks, I appreciate !