View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Default Re: How socially-derived are emotions?

The emotions themselves cannot be socially derived; they're physiological in their entirety. So a direct answer to this thread's question is "not at all."

But that's boring, and I think you're asking more about how much social interactions influence emotions.

To this end, I can't say I know how much. I do know that you can force pretty much any emotion given a sufficient stimulation of the area of the brain that produces that emotion. For example, Reach once referenced a study where researchers overloaded a participant on oxytocin or some similar thing by a tremendous amount, and one participant believed they were in love with the researcher.

From personal experience, I've taken a variety of hormones that are known to produce increases in libido, but whether they actually do is another matter entirely. With one hormone I wanted to have sex with everything and everyone (I think I slept with 5 people in a week at my worst), while with another hormone purported to increase libido I barely felt anything. In fact, my libido would have been increased as much by simply not masturbating for a day or two. And of course, interacting with someone I found tremendously attractive would have produced a strong libido effect regardless of what I took.

So perhaps the question is best thought of as "how much do social interactions stimulate areas of the brain and body that produce these emotions?" and to that I have no idea.
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote