View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #21
Ground_Breaker
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Ground_Breaker
Default Re: Too fat or attention-seeking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Kitten View Post
Have any of you ever noticed that it seems like a lot of our world tends to revolve around looks and/or how much they weigh?

Yes, they make the soda sell better, but why is that?

Everything revolves too much around looks. People would rather buy something that has been advertised by a better looking person then, say, an average looking person.

It's the same thing with clothing and what-not. You've seen ads in magazines for clothing and accessories. What do the people who are modeling the clothing normally look like? Once again, good-looking, usually pretty slim people. I would like to hear all of your opinions on this.
I don't see much potential for discussion here.

You think too much emphasis is placed on aesthetics. Okay. You understand how much of the media appeals to people's sense of wanting to be beautiful. Okay.

You're asking us what we think, so you're going to get responses from people saying, "Well, I think you're right, too much emphasis is placed on aesthetics," or you're going to get responses that say something like, "The media's effect on you is directly related to your individual level of tolerance for that kind of advertising." In essence, the latter response means, "Get over it, because you're negatively affected by it." Neither of these responses are fertile ground for much discussion, really.

Your topic can best be summed up as:

Do you think skinny girls in advertising are good? Y/N