View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 12:38 AM   #27
Ghost_Medley
D6.9 Prime Buttonhitter
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: 2019 September/October Set 5

Quote:
- 5.493 + 5.727/7.368 + 7.602 (etc): these triples accent the same melodic note + backing instrument, so having them change like this feels a bit strange
- 10.180: making this a [123] triple will break away from the [4] an eighth note before/after for better pitch relevance as well
I changed these up, I mostly had the thought that I didn't want 3-note jacks but they also don't need to be jacks either.

Quote:
- 8.891/9.126: these two pitch bent notes are different musically and are separated by a single note, which gives you no real excuse to not properly apply some pitch relevance
I only noticed it because you pointed it out honestly.

Quote:
- 13.051: remove 16th and place at 13.169
- 14.458: there may be a 16th note here for the melody as well, a little tougher to hear though
- 15.454: move this to [2] for better relevance
- 16.919: missing note
Done, not done, done, and done. I don't really hear a 16th at 14.458 so I'm not going to make a change on that.

Quote:
- 20.727 to 24.243: layering here is a bit confusing; 20.727, 20.962, and 21.196 all have jumps, but the third jump doesn’t have two instruments landing at the same time and if they’re all supposed to accent percussion, then there’s numerous jumps missing afterward. Furthermore, if they’re following that synthesized vocal sample, then you’re also missing a jump at 21.665. All in all, fix the layering here.
Yeah, this part definitely needed some fixes but I wasn't sure what to do with it.

Quote:
- 30.337: move to [4], to make it a [4] -> [1] -> [2] -> [3] ascension
- 32.641: personally think this note should be removed - the two offset 32nd notes are fine, though
Done and done.

Quote:
- 41.305: patterning should be changed to give this guitar wail a one-handed trill like you do earlier at 35.305; if you feel the accenting isn’t strong enough, then a brief color gimmick could give attention to that wail and can be applied to both
- 44.680 to 56.680: in general, it feels like there are some missing jumps. The layering scheme seems to toss the faster melody on top of the percussion, but there are single notes that fall in situations where the melody and percussion play at the same time; it doesn’t feel like accented layering because numerous kicks are isolated to single notes as well
Fixed the patterning on the guitar wail, and cleaned up the layering to focus more on the percussion.

Quote:
- 1:00.109/1:01.984: these BPM changes are unnecessary; the kicks shifting from once a beat to once every 1.5 beats every other measures doesn’t clearly signify any sort of pace changing and the music’s intensity arguably doesn’t change enough for these BPM cuts
- 1:01.984: additionally, the 32nds here definitely don’t feel right - they’re pitch bent notes and you handled them in a different way at the start of the song, in a way that was pretty neat - could be a nice little interruption using similar pitch-relevant flams like you did the first time
The 32nds match the same background percussion as 1:00.109, I wasn't intending for them to be flams. The bpm changes also were more for gimmicking the cutoff from the screaming as a tiny cute detail.

Quote:
- 1:06.086: noticeably incorrect PR
Changed it a lil bit so it's more appropriate.

Quote:
- 1:12.178: missing jump, remove jump at 1:12.531 and 1:13.000, etc. Check your melodic representation; some jumps are missing and others do not belong where they are - the tail end of the phrase seems to have a lot of jumps added for kicks but there’s no representation of jumps for kicks earlier on in the phrase so it feels a bit strange as a layering boost, etc.
Fixed it up a bit, now the layering is more consistent and less messy at the end of the first phrase of the chorus.

Quote:
- 1:26.359 to 1:30.109: another section where layering is not the most pronounced - if this is intended to be a break down, then directly layering the percussion with the melody will keep the layering reasonably light
The layering here is a bit more concise now.

Quote:
- 1:31.281/etc: the blips in section should be 24ths - you may want to adjust your layering as things get faster, though
- 1:45.156/1:50.110: change this to a [12][34][12] to keep the difficulty spike manageable, this will kill off AAA runs for a chart whose difficulty was relatively tame through this point for players that are able to handle much higher than the stuff beforehand
Fixed the jumptrills. I was concerned about how doing the 24th blips would affect the file but checking the conversion it looks like at worst it would use a small frame fix.