View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 06:03 AM   #888
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2019 albums halp

Day 585: Dedicated by Carly Rae Jepsen

I really, really, really, really, really, really like I Really Like You. But besides that, this is yet another basic hipster bro touchstone I've mostly avoided for reasons I'm not even sure of. When that one wonder hit came out back in middle school, I hated it. I remember pre-EMOTION (I refuse to format that title correctly) her tickets were at $25, then the hipster reappraisal happened and now they're back at half of 2011 prices (which is close to $100 average). I listened to that 2015 album when it came out and ultimately felt I didn't get it (besides the song about liking you) and never revisited it. Back then I didn't feel I was gonna relisten and didn't feel a quality enough review, oh how the times have changes!

Anyways, to ramble on, this is well-made pop, she's good at making some absolutely infectious hooks, and almost all of this has a nice modern EDM tinge that I really like. Where the album falters is... well, maybe it's not fair to call it faltering but this album is a bit too subdued on average for my tastes. I was looking for explosions of sugar but this feels like Ms. 33-year-old-teen is trying to make a more "serious" album, so to speak? And I understand her desire to be a more "respected" art musician (some of these tracks somehow come off as... weird? Idk) but goddamnit I need more sucrose injections in these ears! Give me EDM backing tracks I can club to! Where are the twee-as-fuck lyrics? It's good, I just wish it was more bombastic and blissfully unashamed. The former isn't something I often want but fuck it I'm tired.

I wrote this whole thing sleep deprived on a plane btw. And guess what... yeah I'm gonna REVISIT this album later man fuck this

Best Track: Now That I Found You or I'll Be Your Girl
Rating: 5/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote