View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 07:19 PM   #33
Celirra
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Celirra
Default Re: Survivor (TV show)

hi this is a thing again

Season 1, Episode 4: Too Little, Too Late?

It was interesting hearing the perspective of everyone concerning the heavy storm, notable standout being Gretchen performing the typical practice of stepping onto a pedestal and assigning blame for the incident. That said, her taking charge did set a precedent and likely won good will rather than the contrary of pushing people away.

Greg and his coconut phone, ahhhhhh. I really shouldn’t focus too much on Greg, but I think it’s really sweet how he was able to be amiable despite his antics. I don’t think it’s so much him taking charge as was alluded to, but moreso just staying in people’s minds and especially in a favourable light.
The Sean being a time waster vs. the others “working hard” is the first use of the heavy contrast trope in Survivor, one that I think is most commonly used to portray people who end up not winning. It’s neat seeing how far back it really goes.

The Jeff interaction with the two representatives is such a deviation from what I’m used to, and something I’ve come to realize is that it shifted the feel of the show from a game show (like what’s common in modern survivor), and more of a survival show or social experiment. The lack of structure adds to it as well of course, but something about Jeff coming off almost as one of them is sweet. I guess people who were able to see past the illusory wall of social experiment / survival are the ones who really thrived and made it far, as is shown.

First formalized talk of alliances come up from Hatch, but interesting is more in the context of people listening vs merely blabbering. Though he does spin it for the context of moving further in the game, it is still on the premise of working with people who actually do work well.

Ramona’s focus on struggling and not adapting well, both earlier with the storm and now pre-challenge used to set up less of a villain send-home, and more of a weakest link style elimination. The whiney attitude post-reward is akin to the same tone as well.

Further alliance talk as well, notably with Sue and Kelly; it’s hard to say if Hatch taking credit is just or not based on what was shown compared to how he talked. Rudy not giving a shit was cute and very genuine, and despite that him not going and spreading the plan speaks volumes of his character (Rudy is great).

Back to Ramona, the complexity of her character being explored further works for her to be more three dimensional, highlighting some positives to add doubt while also arguing against them simultaneously to still keep her negative impression in mind.

“I wouldn’t say we’re cocky, I just think that we’re the best” quotes like this are why I think Colleen is such a cutie. It’s the kind of saying I really enjoy on a day-to-day basis even.

Not gonna lie, I don’t care much for the immunity challenge. It as a whole just isn’t terribly exciting. While I appreciate the old-fashioned feel of it, it somewhat lacks the charm of the rest of them this season, pertaining to “Yeah this skill is useful and would likely be relevant to surviving a deserted island”. The reward challenge was nice to fit that theme, but the IC is a bit like a modern survivor challenge with a lower budget and less exciting television magic. Also, shoutout to Gervaise lacking vigour and care for going all-out unless actually being seen by others.

Jenna being sad about voting someone off, as well as a lot of the rest of Pagong, is sweet and a strong contrast to Tagi being very bureaucratic. Greg almost had the right idea with his Sorry analogy I’d say, and was good to keep it from his team. Hard to say what actually went down of course, because of the lack of any shown footage of camp pre-TC.

Ultimately not a lot to say about Ramona going home, and aside from some preliminary strategy talk on Tagi and Greg with his coconuts, it was a pretty mediocre episode, though most early episodes outside of the first few are weak in all seasons. It did a good job setting more tone to come though, so there’s that.

Plus, Tagi got a spice rack!!! Oh boy!!!!!!!!
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ

Last edited by Celirra; 01-17-2018 at 07:21 PM..
Celirra is offline   Reply With Quote