View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Stepmania Challenge event!

Now I might come off as rude with this post but bear with me here because I have to comment on this. Don't take it offensively.

Reading through this, I'm wondering if -any- of you actually took the time to -think- about your target demographic here. From how you set this whole thing up, you're targeting only the so-called "elite" players that freely post SM scores and blow everyone away with how good their scores are.

Quote:
Everyone can join, so why shouldn't you!?

Challenge no. 1! Speed: Sharpest HEAVY 1.2 AA

Starting off with something not ridiculously fast

Challenge no. 1! MA: SDP or better on Kil's Deep magneta

Nothing super hard here either
This alone is a complete and utter joke. You're juxtaposing the fact that -anyone- can join with challenges that are aimed only at top tier players. You're starting this whole thing off on a giant scale, eliminating all chance and likelihood of anyone that -isnt- a SM Scores thread regular to post here or partake in this challenge. As an example, this is basically telling someone to join a DDR tournament for newbies/beginners and starting the very first round off with shit that top tier ITG players would play. Some tourney for "everyone" right?

I'll even use me as an example here. I'm more or less a decent MA player and to MA anything well you need a decent amount of speed and stamina. I can barely even AA Sharpest Heavy on 1.0 rate. Did you even consider how people that are neither accurate or speedy feel when you tell them to AA it on ****ing 1.2x rate. Setting your standards this high not only intimidates people but it completely drives them away. You're appealing to the regulars that's comprised of practically less than 10 people and if you're going to do something as gullible as name 10 players that can AA sharpest heavy 1.2x then you're wasting your time because you're proving to me that this whole event is only targeted to the inner circlejerk of players as opposed to an actual community. I don't ****ing care if the inner circle is what kept "competitive stepmania" alive because you lot only make up a miniscule percentage out of the rest of the world that only casually plays.

tl;dr If you actually want to attract non-regulars or new people, you -have- to start on a much smaller scale. For example, even asking for a simple A on sharpest heavy would be sufficient (even then this is still pushing it). Take your baby steps and don't toss people right into the ****ing game without thinking about it. Same goes for the MA challenge when you can start off with something as simple as AAA'ing a song.

With the way you have it setup now, you're not going to get anymore than 10 different people posting in here, let alone have this actually take off the ground. I probably sound mad here but if you want this to be successful, you're going to have to take stepman psychology (oops I said it) into account as well as the demographic/community.

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)

Last edited by Gundam-Dude; 11-28-2011 at 02:24 PM..
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote