View Single Post
Old 10-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #7
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Game development is exploitative

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
This appeared in my Twitter feed earlier and it reminded me of a dark truth: the video game development industry is HORRID. On top of the widespread documentation of poor conditions and pay, there's plenty of anecdotal evidence reporting nearly inhumane treatment of game programmers, artists, and staff.

The company described in the tweet literally does not make enough income to support any other management paradigm; even if we like indie studios, do you think they still deserve to exist with such policies?

The AAA industry rakes in billions of dollars per year and yet employee treatment is similar. Why is this allowed to happen?

I almost went into game development as a career and thank god I didn't. Everything I've wanted to do I've been able to do on the side as a hobby. I don't even know what the fuck the game industry can even DO to course-correct at this point. Exploitation happens in all career paths but this is fucking dire.

This clearly isn't sustainable... what do you think will happen?
Oh it gets worse, if working in the game industry is bad, imagine playing some of the modern aaa trash.

How did NBA 2k20 get rated fucking E when it has an actual slot machine in it? Pokemon red blue and yellow get rated t for the game corner and that shit's not even predetory.

Blizzard / Activision's china situation.

Bethesda's Fallout 76 as a fucking whole. What a fucking trash hole, and they just announced a 100 dollar service for it.

Collector's editions not coming with all the DLC as an attachment: this one's a more personal opinion but come the fuck on.

Fire Emblem Three Houses has story DLC tied to the season pass.

Hyrule Warrior's multiple releases and DLC additions.

Cod's yearly release being worse.

And I'm not even touching lootboxes man. Don't even need to.

But there's some fun stuff in the gaming sphere.

Some games I'm personal a huge fan of, that aren't AAA releases:

Then there's some cool stuff like Tetris 99 on the Switch, but I dunno if I'd add that to the pile for long.

In short for me, modern gaming is so fucking bad I'm going to old school stuff / indie games almost exclusively because that's where the fun went.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote