storn42
RIP Storn D0-D0
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Post Re: Jan/Feb 2020 Set 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
Into the Arena / storn42
rating: 7.5/10
- 22.20s,22.72s,23.23s,etc.: Jump to cymbal crash. I suppose a single arrow can be distinguishing enough from the other jumps, but the roles in emphasis certainly feels reversed. I'd recommend changing around which sounds deserve the jumps here. Similar drum kicks in places like 27.86s are single arrows so why the jumps here?
i'll be honest. the cymbal crashes in this song are really fucking quiet. maybe i'm just deaf but between the snare and the cymbal, the snare is the more prominent one. (okay, on a second listen, maybe its not just snare. i think it might actually just be hitting a different drum for each one, but still i feel it powerful enough to warrant the jump over the cymbal) ((on a THIRD listen, 22.20 is different from 82.55. 82.55 is 100% all snare but my thoughts are still the same)) It does feel weird having single notes instead of jumps, but i think it provides an important contrast to the rest of the file. its basically the inverse pattern for the rest of the song. jumps where there are normally single notes, and single notes where there are normally jumps. The way i see it, the jumps in this section have to stay jumps. What i could do is change the single notes to jumps or hands, but i feel the section doesn't do well with hands, and jumps just is a little too messy and all the notes in the section sort of lose some of their emphasis. maybe coloring the currently single notes and turning them into jumps could help but idk. i feel leaving it how it is right now is for the best.
Quote:
- 50.49-50.83s,53.23-53.58s,etc.: Try adding jumps or hands to some of these single arrows, or at least the last arrow for each set. Just like the previous comment, it feels like the emphasis for jumps have been misplaced to the given sounds.
I think this is a generally idea for the last arrow. <--- this is appearently my brain right now. yes i like this.

Quote:
- 52.89s,63.86s,66.60s,67.12s,etc.: Some of the already existing hands go to sounds that are hardly emphasized at all as well (and not cymbal crashes either). Not sure if they deserve hands.
the jumps in this section are for the guitar. most of these hands are for the added snare. 50.15 is the same as 52.89 but with a snare instead of a cymbal.
66.60s - compare this section to literally any other part of the song (eg. 38.66) Its a bit more intense. the guitar snare vocals, and i think a cymbal all hit on the same notes, and it feels a bit harder. hence the chain hand thingy. I've also realized this is completely inconsistent with 126.43. so i guess i'm changing it. i dont want to chain into 129.00, thats just too much.

Quote:
- Summary: This file seems to focus nearly entirely on the percussions with almost no acknowledgement of other elements. This is fine but in doing so, it's important to choose which sounds are relevant to single arrows, jumps, and hands. There are so many instances in which I feel your choice of sound-to-arrow emphasis is entirely reversed - throughout the entire song. The file plays quite well and so I'm not requiring you to make changes, but I strongly recommend doing so.
I'd just like to point out almost the ENTIRE FILE is mapped to the guitar(s). or perhaps its better to say, the guitar is mapped for almost the entire chart length. Its also the guitar playing mostly the same exact thing for the entire song, so the bits that stand out are the extra bits that are mapped, which tends to be percussion. I do acknowledge that i do tend to focus on it a bit much in general on percussion, but there is a LOT in this file for everything else. take the 211211212 pattern, its EVERYWHERE, not even the streams are safe. I understand what you mean here, but it just feels wrong to call it "nearly entirely percussion" with the amount of effort i put into specifically mapping and patterning many sections around the guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
"I think storn is town but he doesn't have a shirt on" - Roundbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
I have beat my meat to storn's posts no less than four times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoWolfe View Post