View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 01:48 PM   #34
Svaz
quite clever

Default Re: life story thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
i half feel like your entire goal of this thread is to feel better about yourself on account of it being a thread by you but what do i know
pretty unwarranted given that she wants to hear other people talk about themselves. it's hard to completely remove ego at all in a post, especially in a thread like this, but to say it's some ego boost to learn about other people is a stretch at the very least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
lol profile is closed, hmmmMmMmMMmMm I wonder why
It's not for why you're implying, I'm pretty sure at least, and honestly I'd do the same in that position.

Also, I get that Dingles basically seethes with disparaging statements in any non-stepmans post (likely myself included given that I've played TWG, perhaps even for this very post), but that's not a reason to say things like "your presence is unneeded and unwanted;" he's another person at a computer too, and he has friends here just like anyone else does. Being rude to someone being rude is only going to serve as justification to continue on like that.

Anyway, RE: thread.
I feel like I've been around a lot of pretty poignant historic events in my 30ish years; I'll just gloss over most of it and identify highlights. It got more lengthier than intended, feel free to check the spoiler.

I was born when the Berlin Wall was still up, in Frankfurt, Germany. I was too young to go myself, but my parents took a visit to Berlin in November, which terrifyingly coincided with the wall being taken down. They had to make checkpoints during an evacuation under threat of getting shot. They made it back, and we later moved back to the US for my dad's job (the military) and I proceeded to move a lot during childhood, just 3 times in the US, where I finished the brunt of my elementary school. I was a bright student and got put into a gifted program (didn't last, disintegrated after I got off ADD meds and went through some times), where I was selected as a representative of my school. I shook then Vice President Al Gore's hand at an assembly. A little after this, I moved out of the states to Uxbridge, England, where Winston Churchill used to have a bunker. I took a few tours of it.

It was around this time my parents began to split, a rift I had a weirdly prophetic dream of, around age 7, but that dream probably came off childish "spot the difference" scenarios at friend's houses with their parents and mine. Those observations were likely compounded by my mother's compulsion to drink whole bottles of wine and smoke cigarettes alone on the patio in evenings. My mom did not move to England with my dad and brother and I. The most prominent experience I remember is going to the Isle of Wight for a weeklong class trip and learning about cousinfucker Queen Victoria, and turning 12 there.

After that we lived with my mom in SoCal, then bumfuck Tennessee, then SoCal again and it was generally a weird experience of cohabitation with my mom's high school boyfriends. It got pretty bad, not much because of them, but because of her drunken bouts, and I tried my best to be her most vocal opposition. Eventually, myself, my brother, and even the children of her last boyfriend were all temporarily foster kids while the CPS did an investigation on her, my dad, and her boyfriend at the time. It's a really strange part of my life that I can't always piece together accurately, but I guess this is pretty common when living or closely dealing with an abuser. My last vision of my mom before graduating high school was her holed up in a psychiatric unit after her most recent suicide attempt.

(I guess I can touch on this briefly, I've seen her a few times since but it always ends badly. I've since kept my newest number from her, and wish her a happy birthday, a merry Christmas, and a happy new year. Any information I give with her she manipulates, and picking away at the rose-tinted saran wrap you put over bad things about people you love reveals some very big truths. It's hard, but not impossible to progress past biological ties. This year I've been getting back in touch with her siblings and mom and it's been pretty good.)

We got ready to go to Germany again with my dad. I was pretty excited to come "full circle" as it were. That Christmas was still one of the best ones of my life, finally getting there, and getting our passports, and being done with that chapter of tribulations.

I graduated high school inconsequentially. A couple of years after that I joined here, and the rest I've probably overshared already. I think there are a few parts I didn't cover at all, after stopping my presence here in 2015? and then returning at the beginning of this year for a simple TWG. The block function is free if this re-emergence bothers you, though. Please feel free to use it.

Shortly, though, I was in the military for a while, the most interesting thing was being in Seoul when president Park got impeached, and President Moon-Jae In won after making a pretty aggressive campaign in StarCraft II. I got out of active in Colorado Springs, Colorado, which is where I lived when a significant event happened where I live now: Charlottesville, VA.

Here, a statue of a Robert E. Lee, a Confederate key player still stands, no longer covered in a plastic wrap, but protected by a hideous orange picket fence and no trespassing signs. A few blocks away is an ongoing memorial to the woman that died to vehicular manslaughter on a pedestrian mall. It's a really strange duality to consider. It does, however illustrate well the political climate of the US overall today; otherizing, free speech, and an ongoing oppressive history, but perhaps I'm waxing poetic about it.

Other than that, I'm pretty okay with life but I want to progress professionally someday. I want to help make the world a better place as unobtrusively as possible.

I wanted to say this outside of the spoiler; I've made some incredible connections with people through FFR. I've always found that I can connect more easily and genuinely with people I've met through the internet, and getting through a life of constantly moving would have been a lot lonelier without a community like this, even if I'm not here for the base content. So thanks, everyone, for still being here and sticking around. I mean it. o/