View Single Post
Old 01-1-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Song Corrections Official Thread

Got two or three things to add. I'll try to be concise.

As far as the list goes, we realized the limits of having to work from an external point of view rather than being a part of the music producing community. So, our work consists ultimately as a verification of the information that are already being listed as of the FFR Song List. Thus, the author and the song name. That's all there is to it.

One of those limits is that we could not verify the concordance between the song's audio version present on the site, and the official release of the artist as it would have been too much time-consuming and money-consuming. As an additional corrector, I'm trying to localize songs that have been misnamed or have been mistaken for another, but it's still a demanding task. (see Elektrik Shiivers by Aliceffekt for instance) If you want to help, it would aid greatly if someone could be on the lookout for this kind of information. We will also be contacting musicians so that we can have their input on the information presented.

Concerning the chaotic pattern with genres, as Noname said earlier, we could not do much more as to what is already integrated to the site, since we do not know the FFR position on creating a more methodical system for those. Also, since there is so much about it that we are clearly unaware of, the position of FFR is what matters the most (we would certainly not replace genres that the community consider relevant). Finally, we are reluctant to replace genres with more acceptable substitute, since most of the time it does not represent well enough the feeling of the song. For example: Press Start is labelled Click House and would have been replaced for Chiptune. In that sense, we will make a database of genres according to the RYM list of genres and our knowledge (http://rateyourmusic.com/rgenre/)

At last, about those FFR artist profiles, since there is a lot of research to do on these (aliases to find, regroupments, new/old accounts), we will include them into the finished list unless it is a necessary source. I personally reckon they are often more reliable than social networking sites. That's another information that we need to rely on the community. (apart from the musician credits page)

As of now, my contribution stops at Aliceffekt, and goes on at random points throughout the list. (Letter C, D and E) If this list receives positive feedback, I plan on completing the verification. I consider myself an extremely meticulous and stubborn person when I do my researches (to the point that I dig really deep into anything). I reckon it might be exhaustive and detailed, but it is necessary. And so, if anybody has any objections on the changes, feel free to discuss. We're really trying to make the move for a better organized website.

You will notice that this thread is a first draft, hence why we posted it early (and in time for the new year). We'll post the rest as the thread gets interest. Although the list is done from A-Z, as a whole, it's still a WIP, and heavily needs contribution. There is still a lot to do, but we believe this list will help into facilitating the task mods and admins are charged with. All there is left is the community contribution and agreement.

In hope this initiative will help motivate changes to the site. (like the completion of the new tier point system. (talked too fast )

IMPORTANT: As we speak, I am preparing a file with all sources that explains why we are making such changes, that way it will be easier to discuss and take a position.

Last edited by Crazyjayde; 01-2-2013 at 12:55 PM..
Crazyjayde is offline   Reply With Quote