Old 05-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #55
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere
Default Re: Why Mainstream Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weedmark View Post
It means they appeal to the lowest common denominator gamer to reel in the number of sales they need to make the massive production and marketing cost economical. They're not necessarily bad, but they're generic, and most people consider things "better" that are more tailor made for them.
Absolutely 100% perfect post. Glad to see at least a few people get it.

And, Spenner, you're on the right track. I'm very much like you in that I like some things which are mainstream and some things which aren't, but I never like something just because it is/isn't mainstream. That said, I don't like the mainstream process.

Cavernio, also very good points.

To people bringing up MLP, two points I'd like to make
1) I never claimed I didn't like any mainstream things ... but ...
2) I'd argue the MLP fandom isn't mainstream but a quite large niche. Learn the difference between broad knowledge that something exists and broad acceptance. If it raises eyebrows among average folks, it's definitely not mainstream. This isn't to say that it couldn't become mainstream at some point (anything can).

That said, as before, there is some amount of subjectivity to what is/isn't mainstream or when/if something crosses that line.

dAnceguy117, obviously it is relevant because only some of the posters seem to understand. It's far from unanimous.

Reincarnate, please explain how it is "arrogant hipster" to not only be okay with people liking mainstream things, but to like some mainstream things myself? As far as I know, a hipster is defined as someone who hates things solely because they are mainstream and I never once held that position. Rather I view the mainstream process as detrimental to artistic vision. I might not like the process, but that doesn't mean I hate all things that pass through it.

To recap:
There's nothing wrong with liking mainstream things but the mainstream process itself hinders the full potential of all. Hence if something is mainstream and good it likely could have been a lot better if it were allowed full artistic/creator/etc vision, which would have likely resulted in a less mainstream (but truer to artistic/creator/etc vision) product.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote