View Single Post
Old 08-25-2022, 11:42 PM   #110
Lights
owo
Head of Events Team
Event StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Dump Batch Discussion Thread

What would not ranking these files or putting them in separate leaderboards really hope to achieve though? Clearly, theres demand for this content. Clearly, theres a significant chunk of players that enjoy this content.

Saying "fine, we'll let them in, but they can't interact with any of the core aspects of FFR or be seen around the rest of the files" is only one step past "no, get these dumps out of here" and I don't see really who this would serve or benefit. Certainly not the players whom this content is ultimately being added for?

If a file is deemed acceptable to be added into the game and the difficulty of the file is sane enough to be rated on the rating scale, it should be treated the same as every other file with regards to the game's leaderboards, average rank, etc.- even legacy files are factored into this and there is much more thats fundamentally wrong with them (by traditional FFR judging standards) than a well made dump file. Most of them would be laughed out of the batch if submitted today.

And furthermore, I'm not keen on the comparison between dumps and legacy files- some of the legacy content doesn't even make sense and doesn't come close to fitting any benchmark as being a well made file. Sure, there were much heavier limitations at play for their creation than someone today popping into arrow vortex or a similar editor, but that doesn't change the fact that, for many, nothing is properly timed, theres no real attempt at coherent structure, and the patterning choices are bland and in many cases incredibly spiky in nature. These files have very little in common with a well made serious dump file and in no world do I think we should be seriously considering them as comparable entities on FFR.

Last edited by Lights; 08-25-2022 at 11:46 PM..
Lights is offline   Reply With Quote