View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 08:38 PM   #7
Kefit
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kefit
Default Re: What makes a series good?

These are some of the elements that are essential to what I would call a superb anime:

- A good plot. Not necessarily complex, but something where I won't be able to discern how it is going to wrap up. Complex plots are always welcome if written coherently, but unfortunately more complex plotwork in anime is rather poorly presented. Quality writing (basically, believable character interaction and plot progression) is always more important than plot complexity. One thing I particularly love is a well presented mystery, although I enjoy lots of other stuff too.

- Interesting, compelling characters. I place a very large focus on characters when I engage with any kind of media (be it TV, anime, video games, whatever), and a dearth of likable characters is the quickest way to kill my interest in a series. In the vast majority of cases, these characters are female. This is just the way I work when it comes to entertainment - although there are certainly males whom I find compelling (Ryoga from Ranma 1/2, Dominic from Eureka Seven), they are far and few in between. Furthermore, I am generally most interested in characters who are moe moe in some way. Too much moe kills a character, of course, but just the right application serves as a hook to pull me in.

- Good production values. This mostly includes artwork and animation. Generally, quality artwork is more important for setting mood and tone, while quality animation is vital to a good action sequence. Consistent character designs are also a must. Spectacular production values won't necessarily make me interested in a show (although they help a lot if the show contains other elements I find appealing), but horrendous production values have the power to turn me off from pretty much anything if they are bad enough.

- Thrill factor. A good show will fill me with excitement and tension, and will keep the momentum going when the plot line calls for it. Good production values can help with this (I just love visual feasts), and the show needs to actually convince that it just might kill/do something bad to a given character(s) in order for tension to work at its best.

- Good directing. This is really kind of a catch all category, but it mostly applies to scene composition, cinematography, use of music, and other such factors. Great directing will use all of these elements to appropriately emphasize whatever action is occuring in a given scene or episode.

- Good pacing. A good show will make every episode interesting from beginning to end, and will keep the momentum going between episodes when the plot calls for it.

Most of these are more or less univerally applicable for everyone, I think. My own personal tastes can be found in my love of thrill rides, and in my particular focus on characters (along with preferred style of characters).

Quote:
Originally Posted by seinno
and also thank you everone for clearing it up for me I will try to start using my two hands iv tried quit a bit i put my left hand index and middle finger middle finger is on the up arrow index on on left arrow and right hand i use my index for the down button and middle for the right button does that seem weird?
Kefit is offline   Reply With Quote