Thread: Re: Tyler
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 02:39 AM   #4
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: Tyler

He made a large number of not very good tourneys, obviously trying very hard to be accepted by the community. That has nothing to do with the problem.

He got himself banned from making tournaments until Tass told him otherwise, which he violated. Also not the problem.

The problem is that he stated in a thread that he was in 6th grade. Here in Canada that puts you at 11 turning 12. Checking with several Americans, they confirmed that the same is true for 6th graders there. So he got a 1 year ban for UUA. That's not a "mods being jerks" thing, that's a "Compliance with the Child Online Protection and Privacy Act" thing. We can carry a don't ask don't tell policy which is generally what we do, but when someone states that they are under 13, we have no choice but to ban them until they are 13.

He then evaded the ban. The penalty for ban evasion is a permaban of the evasion account, and a doubling of the length of the original ban on the main. He's since evaded I believe 5 times. Even if we ignore that evading a ban > 6 months is an automatic permaban of his main, he's up to 1->2->4->8->16->32 years worth of ban (5 years if we want to be nice and only double the length of the original each time.

As I've told him repeatedly, though he seems disinclined to listen, all he needs to do is simply stop posting for a few months, hell even a few weeks. He can make a new account to play FFR if he likes, he could even try posting in some conversations now and then, and once enough time has gone by, reinsert himself into the community demonstrating that he's learned from the criticisms, and changed his ways.

Instead he insists on coming back, sometimes pretending not to be him, sometimes stating it explicitly, and making the same godawful tournaments and events that he's still banned from making even if his account weren't banned.

As for people "calling a Tyler" in tourney threads or in the forums in general: To my knowledge they've made 3 calls of "I think you're tyler" and spotted three Tyler evasion accounts. So obviously his poor posting style is pretty well known by everybody. Any time I see it suggested that any user is an evasion account of a banned user, I compare IPs etc (Since I DO have that access) and will state quite authoritatively in the thread if their claim is unfounded so people will leave them alone.

And jonathanasdf? I just checked, and groovy girl is in fact Ty77le77r77. Perhaps you can understand the issue now?

Last edited by devonin; 03-16-2008 at 02:44 AM..