View Single Post
Old 09-3-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
EtienneSM
FFR Player
D8 Godly Keysmasher

Send a message via Skype™ to EtienneSM
Default Re: The Running Thread

I know when I first started running, I had no idea what my pace was. I had a very anaerobic way of running too, meaning I would get tired relatively quickly, and run on pure tiredness. Where as an aerobic run, you're controlling your pace better and able to finish runs in a more efficient and even sometimes fast manner. If you're just getting into distance running, it's more about just putting time on your feet so your legs are conditioned to handle higher mileages as your running progresses. It seems like your legs aren't quite conditioned to do more speed-oriented stuff, which is normal for someone who doesn't have fast-twitch muscles and isn't an experience runner. That can be done at any time.

I'd suggest just getting in 20-30 mins of solid/not extremely exerting running at least 3-5 times a week until you feel comfortable enough to try longer runs as you progress. A GPS watch would be a great indicator of keeping track of your pace. Finding your pace is very important for training and if you can't seem to get a hold of one, map some routes out and use a regular watch to at least have an estimate to see how fast each mile is. I'd also highly suggest stretching before and after every run as it will make you looser and looser as a runner and prevent you from being prone to injuries compared to if you didn't stretch.

Also, DON'T OVERTRAIN/OVERDO RUNS AND MAKE SURE YOU'RE REPLENISHING EVERYTHING YOU BURNED OFF. I can't stress how many times I've overdone my training and ruined multiple cross country/track seasons for myself. If something is bothering you greatly. Look up some stretches for that specific injury and always be sure to ice it afterwards too. This is #1 priority if you want to keep your running momentum going and not be at risk of taking days to weeks off. I can't tell you how many injuries I've had with running, whether it's overtraining, not getting enough calories in after runs, not stretching enough, etc. It's the little things that matter, trust me.

Luckily, I've been a bit smarter about my training so far in college. My first collegiate race, I ran a 16:58 3-mile yesterday (Which is about a 17:30-ish 5k which would be a PR yay) and it's because I've been smart about my training and haven't overdone any runs, taking care of any tightness/nutrition, etc.

I'm no expert in anything at all, this is just all from the noggin so apologies if I'm wrong in any aspect, haha.

Edit: For protein, I also have a whey protein shake mixed with milk. So you should be fine with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KgZ View Post
enjoy having every guy ask if they can get some love on their weiner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I also like the nps scale. The standard ITG scale for harder files is blown out of proportion and no longer makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
nps is still a better idea for ratings
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimtkiller View Post
there is 1 tip for people going to college. When you're in college, you'll be 16, which is the age where (where i live) you can get laid lawfully. basically, get laid asap when they look the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapta View Post
My logic is that the brain processes in 60 FPS so I play 60 FPS.

Last edited by EtienneSM; 09-3-2016 at 02:36 PM..
EtienneSM is offline   Reply With Quote