View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger
Default Re: what's the difference between a personal attack, an insult, and a true statement

I don't usually post in Critical Thinking but here we go.

Insults can be both true and false, but whether it's classified as a personal attack, an insult, or truth in my opinion depends on how informatively or derogatorily it is delivered. It also depends on how insecure someone is to receive such information as well. Some people can shrug it off as "Yes, I know I'm fat. Can't do much about it because of xxxxx/not number one on my list as of right now" or take it offensively as "BMI is a myth, how dare you say I'm morbidly obese I'm going to live another 50 years I aint dying anytime soon you are off your rockers mate".

Personally, I draw the line at when it goes from informative information from an outside perspective, to intentionally derogative to either inflict mental harm, or to damage reputation/character and the opinion of you from others. I would be okay with people acting in a derogative manner towards me, as long as it stays informative and there's some level of acknowledgment prior, or after that they didn't have the best choice of words.

- Tosh 2014