View Single Post
Old 06-6-2008, 03:57 PM   #18
TwilightPrincess
FFR Veteran
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Account Security

People underestimate the logic of hackers. They may choose a dumb password and take for granted that people will not guess it, that it's not worth it.

They're wrong.

Hackers will do anything to put others down and whatnot, and the main cause is poor security. Not having a good password is just about the same as writing down the PIN number to your bank account and handing it out at school. It's just plain stupid. Always choose a good password when joining websites that you're not too sure about. But don't worry. I think FFR has only been hacked like... Once in the past year.

Some people may recall that in April, a website called Red Fraction was hacked (I work there muhehe). What was the cause, you ask? One of our admins had a really dumb password. Of course, I can't say what it is, but apparently they used that same, exact password registering for another site. That password was then stolen from that site and used on RF to gain admin access. Let me tell you, the hacker(s) left us in a mess.

So there you have it folks, all it takes is a dumb password to screw everything up for you.

And yes, the story I told you is true.

TwilightPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote