Old 08-4-2019, 08:45 PM   #112
RenegadeLucien
FFR Veteran
Skill Rating Designer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: D8 Deb8

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
"Divisions are bad because sandbagging" is really just nonsense.

You know what's worse than the possibility that there are people near the top of a division who don't try to improve for -2 years- holding out hope for an Official Tournament they have a chance of winning? Nobody but the top 5-10 players on the site ever winning the tournament because we're all lumped together and a D1 player won't even bother participating if they have to compete against D7/8 people.
I think this can be worked around given the right tournament structure. There's been many proposals for formats for divisionless OTs, and I know I'm not the first to suggest this.

And also, I could argue that this problem already exists, even with the divisional system. I'm currently right at the bottom of D5. My chances of winning D5 are zero. Not "virtually" zero, not "effectively" zero, but flat-out 0.00000%. There's simply no way I'll be able to close the skill gap between myself and players at the top of the division like axith, Riot, and Fluttershy in just a few weeks. If the goal of the divisional system is to create tournament ranges that anyone can win (which seems to be the primary drive to creating a D8 in the first place), I'd say it's not currently doing that. (And sorry if I'm coming across as bitter here, that's not my intention here.)

RenegadeLucien is offline   Reply With Quote