View Single Post
Old 05-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #27
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: baq12 Singles release thread

Posted a new file in the first post! Kind by Plini! Here are some general thoughts about the file and the tedious process working on it.

This is a surprisingly complex song, with many layers that are independent of one another. In terms of layering, I had to make a few decisions on what I wanted to emphasize from section to section. I wanted to show off some of the unique rhythms that appear throughout, so in many sections I would follow a few key themes. One example would be the first entrance of the solo guitar. In that section, I stepped the guitar part, but then decided to only layer the bass line and the big snare hits. Had I layered the rim shots and the hi hat, it would have left a very dull and uninteresting pattern with very little variation to it. While I still went for maintaining rhythmic structure throughout, I was really interested in bringing out some of the cooler rhythms, and I think I was able to do that rather effectively.
Another challenging aspect was trying to make cool and interesting holds without going completely overboard on the holds. An aspect of my early files were that I would usually layer in holds in the guitar and keyboard solos as well as crash cymbals, which is fine, but doesn't particularly add anything to the file, especially when it came to putting holds on the crash cymbals. So I decided to give a little variation to it and layered in holds on some of the interesting color chords presented throughout the song. I think they're pretty cool and gives a nice contrast to things.
I hope everyone enjoys the song! I had a really good time working on this one, albeit it was a very tedious project that I took a little too long to work on.

Cheers!