View Single Post
Old 01-8-2020, 04:20 PM   #83
s1rnight
( ŻuŻ)-b
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to s1rnight Send a message via Skype™ to s1rnight
Default Re: Rap is technically music

DISCLAIMER: i only listen to about five piano composers from the 19th and 20th century

imo the pitch aspect of rap is by far the most interesting thing about it, using speech as ur melody gives u access to INHARMONIC PITCH RELATIONS which is so esoteric that it took white (and jewish) people until world war 1 to discover it. (ok, not really) i would even wager (i have never listened to a rap song in my life) that many of these pitch relations are used intelligently, such as "making the pitch go higher when u are more excited", "using a similar pitch area or exact pitch when you are repeating a word, or a rhyming schema", or "general expressivity of tone (for many definitions of tone)". if you listen to lots of twelve-tone or modern classical composers your brain starts to hear *everything* melodically and everything as connected through harmony so there's no issue with me on that front. just hearing somebody who has an interesting way of talking feels like an iridescent bird flying through space!!!! kind of like reading a weird person post on a forum. hoo. ok