View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #398
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Dragons Fury: Custom Tournament #7

Best score for this. Hopefully I can make up the difference later on files I actually want to play, not too worried as this is just Round 1.

Might as well try to be as helpful as possible with regards to this file...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
2. The patterns weren't chosen to be "fun." Neither of my charts this tourney are "fun." I stepped them in the interested of being a little more technical than usual.
It's one thing to sacrifice "fun" for technicality, but the problem is this chart isn't even technical. Technicality comes from following the music as closely as possible. Some changes that would have made it more technical:
In the anchor jack section, use jacks on the same arrow when the pitch doesn't change. You change arrows for sounds of the same pitch = not technical.
Properly layer the cymbal crashes in the ending- you use hands in some parts and jumps in others.
The minijacks in the ending JS do not follow the music in any particularly meaningful way. If they are going to the background noise, that sounds to me like ALL jacks, so using ALL minijack patterns would have been more technical (but also pretty stupid to play)
What would have been best feeling for me was to use standard, minijack-less JS patterns until the melody comes back in, then layer the minijack sections of the melody into the JS with minijacks to those sounds. If you know what I mean. That would have been technical and probably would have felt a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
7. The chart is stepped to the beat, all the minijacks are justified, as it's a large pet peeve of mine when people have no purpose for them. The only hands of this chart are literally 3 sounds at once. Notes aren't placed to PR. The anchor jack section was originally 1 1 1 1 1 1 34 sort of thing. I thought changing it to how it was would help keep the difficulty more consistent.
If you wanted to even out the difficulty, be mindful of 1-handed patterns. At this level it's a fact that most players play spread, and the structure of the rest of the chart already strongly discourages one-handed and index play, so you should suit your patterns to spread players as a result. Making the anchors 1-handed in that section took what was already probably the hardest part of the file and made it much, much harder lol

I've already addressed the issue of the minijacks in the JS and how you could possibly have handled that differently, however there's a number of additional pattern changes I think could be made in the JS section. There's one 1(12)2 transition in particular that's very difficult. Try to keep minijack transitions into jumps or hands mostly 2-handed. For example 1(13)3 instead of 1(12)2 will flow better because it's a 2-handed transition.

See, I have reasoning behind my criticisms.
All of this is just my opinion, take it for what you will. (do I have to put this disclaimer on everything?)