View Single Post
Old 01-1-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Song Corrections Thread

Thanks again for taking so much time in creating this list. Now I have a ton of stuff to amend (later on)...

Quote:
Another common mistake is the “remixed by” tag that’s been introduced (along with “feat.”, “vs” or “&”). There is no system in place and that’s problematic. Also, a lot of the songs are video game remixes. Should they have the term “remixed by” ?
Video game songs are usually more known by the game rather than the composer - it wouldn't make much sense to attribute a "remixed by" for every one of those songs (would be more problematic for medleys). I think "remixed by/feat./vs" is appropriate for other songs, as I've seen them used by other artists, and we must remember to attribute appropriate credit to the song.
Side note: "&" seems to be the only acceptable character to use when attributing multiple simfile artists, as that will automatically create a link to those simfile artists.

Quote:
Some Japanese artists have translated their names in English, and don’t necessarily meet the capitalization system (very often, the first letter is lowercase, or the whole name is uppercase). Again, we should meet capitalization unless the artist makes it clear it was intended.
How do you know the capitalization was what they intended? Quite often, when I do see Japanese composers post English titles, they are often in lowercase - or at the very least, they don't seem to be as picky as English artists.

Quote:
The tag “remix” or “mix” should never be displayed here, unless the artist makes it clear it is the actual name of the song.
Most of the time, it is listed on the song title, so I don't see too much of a problem there.

Quote:
Also, some characters can't be displayed due to the limitations of the typography used in the engines. R/\IN could be written as RAIN to ease the search function. Then, the names could be credited in the Ingame song information thread. Same thing applies to Japanese names at the moment. Or, for example, Ascii Art Core’s real name is : /^o^\ . Unless we have, of course, a way to have substitute values in every engine : typing RAIN gives us the song R/\IN.
I believe /^o^\ can be entirely displayed correctly (I tested this myself a few months ago). For R/\IN, the converting of the title of RAIN would create yet another identity issue, so you'll need to specify the artist (there are several "rain" songs). If it helps, you might want to consult Velocity or Zageron to confirm which characters are displayable or not. That might help you in sorting the titles that are acceptable.

I really hope though that Velocity or Zageron could find a way to provide substitute values for a select few songs. That would definitely be preferable, not only in the correctness of the song, but ease in finding it too.

And finally, I'd like to mention here that the Ingame Song Information thread is severely lacking in general publicity. It is a nearly dead thread, and I feel that proper, correct info should be more well-known. Whether someone wants to make a new thread, or have another innovative idea, I'd like some ideas.

Quote:
Most of the classical songs are known under two or more names. For example, the real name for Molto Vivace is “Transcendental Étude No. 2” but is more commonly known as the first. I propose to use the more popular name or the old one to avoid confusion for veterans and to credit the full name in the Ingame song information thread.
Disagree. I think the song should have its correct title (unless overly lengthy and technical, as several classical songs are), and the incorrect title could be posted in the dead/inferior ingame song information thread.
What I'm thinking is to make a front page post to let everyone know that a number of changes were made to FFR's songs. They can then be directed to this thread and become informed. After a while, people will get to recognize songs by their proper titles for once. There'll definitely be a transitionary period before that happens though.

Quote:
Some songs have different versions. The terms v2, v3, v4 and so on is another system that should remain.

Same thing for songs that were playable in the widgets. The terms [Light], [Standard] and [Heavy] should be used if there are two songs playable in the game. [Oni] for specific and/or very hard songs. One song has the term [Hard], so we shouldn’t use it in the future. Note that we should remove the term if there’s only one song of this name (ex : The Divine Suicide of K [Heavy]). Alternatively, I would propose to change those terms to v2, v3, etc. but I’m not entirely sure if it’s a good idea or not.
Just keep in mind that difficulty tags do not have the flexibility of presenting two different files of similar difficulties, which are not common but do exist. v2,v3, etc. tags can do that because they don't denote a specific difficulty.

Quote:
Some genres are the same but are not written the same way (for example, “Hip Hop” and “Hip-Hop” or “Drum’n Bass”, “Drum ‘n Bass” and “DnB”). The best is to use the most accepted spelling.
Certain genres might be written differently (e.g. DnB) due to the limited number of characters I'm able to input into the genre parameter. The best case scenario is to ask Velocity to somehow extend the character limit.

Quote:
We will also be contacting musicians so that we can have their input on the information presented.
Be aware that there's a risk that artists of whom we've asked permission for long ago may not remember giving permission to FFR, and may force FFR to retract their songs if they somehow don't like their presence on this site. Same goes with featured artists due to CC or other common permissions of which we did not give direct contact. Even if these artists gave permission at one point or implied permission/non-issue, there's always a chance they will change their mind if you try to bring this site back to light. All in all, I think it's a risky prospect to ask every artist about FFR. I don't recommend it unless necessary. They might still recognize the site, or they might treat FFR like a complete stranger again. One very possible scenario: over the years, such artists may have since ended up on labels and may want to remain "safe" by not allowing permissions of any sort.

Quote:
Finally, we are reluctant to replace genres with more acceptable substitute, since most of the time it does not represent well enough the feeling of the song. For example: Press Start is labelled Click House and would have been replaced for Chiptune.
To be honest, a lot of genres attempt to encompass the song as best as possible while representing any differentiation.
e.g. "Click House" is really just 8-bit or glitchy/electronica music with a house beat - Press Start definitely has that distinct beat that other songs on FFR labelled as "Chiptune" doesn't have.
Another thing to note is that some songs have genres as specified by the artist him/herself (e.g. the song genre for BEER is and WILL remain as "Collage Techno", not "College Techno" or "Techno" or anything else as such) or was originally derived from another rhythm game (e.g. Kick Your A is a remix of the song "A" from DDR/IIDX, and that song's genre is "Renaissance").

In other words, there will be some limitations when it comes to make genre changes.

Quote:
For artists that are located on Newgrounds, it might be worthwhile to leave special characters out, as it usually is intentionally done for distinction in the audio portal.

Example: {Rose}, {Blaze} for Cornandbeans.
Oh, that's cool; I didn't know that. If it's really the case that placing "{}" is solely for the means of an unrelated mechanism, then I would go for the proper song title as it should be.

I'll reply to some of the mysteries for individual artists in another post.

Last edited by bmah; 01-1-2013 at 07:00 PM..
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote