noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219
Default Permissions List and Information v8

Post #1
Information

If there are any issues with permissions being changed, updated or removed, report it by posting in this thread.
You may also post a message on my profile and I will update the thread as soon as possible.

Please refer to the v9 Spreadsheet for up-to-date information on the current state of any & all permissions listed in this thread, linked below.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Thanks - gold stinger

Table of contents

Post #1 : Information
  • Previous Permission Threads
  • Stepcharts and the FFR Batch
  • Site Requiring Accounts
  • Open Source Audio
  • Requesting Permission
  • Copyright, Permission, Public Domain and You

Post #2 : Blanket and Limited Artist Permissions (A-L)

Post #3 : Blanket and Limited Artist Permissions (M-Z)

Post #4 : Label Permissions

Post #5 : Links to Permission Posts

Post #6 : Denied Artist Permissions

Post #9 : Changelog

Previous Permission Threads

Stepcharts and the FFR Batch

The batch thread is the place to go for information on stepchart submissions to Flash Flash Revolution.

If you are wondering how to make a stepchart, as well as for FFR, take a look at this guide by Goldenwind and this DDRDream Studio guide by MarioNintendo

Site Requiring Accounts

Muzie
Muzie requires you to log in to download mp3s. (courtesy of Ghakimx)
User: mombastical@gmail.com
Pass: flashrev

Nicovideo (courtesy of Ghakimx)
User: ds-af@live.com
Pass: sakura-era

If any of the above usernames and/or passwords don't work, post about it in this thread.

Open Source Audio

http://www.archive.org/details/audio (check the Creative Commons licenses for any song you download)

http://www.bmsoffighters.net/ (convert the .bms files for the audio)
http://manbow.nothing.sh/event/event...t_def&event=64 (convert .bms files for the audio)

http://earmilk.com/ (see this post)

Requesting Permission

Before requesting permission, make sure to verify if the artist/label isn't listed in this thread. This is important to avoid multiple users contacting the same artist or label for their permission more than once.

When you ask for permission, be sure to include:

• What FFR actually is (include facts, statistics, the basics of gameplay).
• That FFR is non-profit (the site doesn't get any money from the use of their songs).
• A link to the site.
• A list of artists who have already given permission (a link to this thread is fine).
• Confirmation that their music is safe and will not be available to download.
You can also refer to this thread when asking a new artist.

Remember, we are requesting to use their music, so take care to be respectful and let them know that it's a privilege to have them on our site.

Here's a thorough guide on how you can ask for permission :
(information taken from this thread)

[spoiler]
Note: Credit for everything listed in this thread goes out to TheRapingDragon.
Aside from the v1, this v2 explains and demonstrates how to effectively and properly get the permission of song artists (v1) and how the results of your permission gets are handled now-a-days (v2).

So, you've just heard some awesome music and want it in FFR? Well, you've come to the right place.
This thread is going to try to help you go through the stages of trying to get a permission.

Step One - Be accurate.

Before you even begin to try to get a permission you have to make sure that all of your information is accurate and correct. Make sure that you have the right author / song title / album title (where applicable). Make sure it's not a remix or something like that which could get FFR in trouble with the original author who never gave permission for the remix in the first place.

The other reason for accuracy is so that you show the recipient of the email that you know what you are talking about.

Depending on what you are going for you will need to follow a different step. If:

- You are asking an independent artist / group for their permission then go to step 2.

- You are asking a signed artist / group for their permission or a record label for any artist at all then go to step 3

Step Two: Independent Artists / Groups

The beauty about independent artists is that they have no record company or label (or they own the label themselves) and so you only need to send one email.

Make sure to be absolutely certain that they don't have a label. Once you are certain try to find a contact address for them. This could either be an email or a letter. Some good places to check for contact points for independent artists are wikipedia, their official website, or myspace (or similar musical outlets such as last.fm).

Once you have an email address you can send the email to them. I prepared a template email that can be used:

Here's one of the more formal templates available and widely used for independent artists and/or groups:

Quote:
Dear (band / artist name).

My name is (your name). I'm wondering if I could have a minute of your time to request permission to use (songs / whatever) in a free online rhythm game called FlashFlashRevolution. The website is www.flashflashrevolution.com.

FFR is an online rhythm based game where you hit arrows in time with music. The music is streamed and both the game and music cannot be downloaded. FFR was started in 2002 and we currently have 25,000 active players and 46,000 monthly unique visitors.

The full list of artists we have permission for can be seen in the following link:

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=140821

FFR is a free-to-play website and does not earn any money from these songs. We do not sell or redistribute the music either. Your music will not be sold or available for download.

I feel that if we got your permission to use your songs on our website then we would be able to get more people into your music and that we would have some incredible files for people to play.

In conclusion, I am writing for permission to use your songs on FlashFlashRevolution.com. You do not have to permit whole albums, even a song or two would be enough if that is all you want to offer.

(Alternative for the above paragraph: Ask for specific songs or albums that you want, for example:In conclusion, I am writing for permission to "song 1" and "song 3" on FlashFlashRevolution.com. I feel that these songs would be an amazing addition to FFR and I hope that you will give permission for these two songs).

If you have any more questions regarding my request, or have any other questions at all then please email me at the following address:

(your email)

I look forward to a reply in the future. Thank you for your time.

Yours Sincerely,

(your name)

Step Three: Artists / Groups that are signed to a record label

This does vary from label to label but ultimately your final email will be around the same. The first thing to do is find out which label the artist or group is with. This can most likely be found on wikipedia.

Secondly, you need to go to the labels website and make sure if you can find any "terms of service" or "artist / license request" forms or information on either. (Usually located at the bottom of these sites, are links for the ToS and artist/license requests.) These will usually give you information on how a label feels about distributing the music of their artists. It can also tell you if the label will expect royalties for anything to do with any of their artists.

If you can't find anything like this then you can move on. If you do find a form, and it doesn't mention royalties, then you should use that form to apply for request for music to be put into FFR.

If none of the above is applicable then you'll need to move on to emails.

The ideal route is to send two emails. One to the artist / group and one to the record label. If a band is linked with multiple labels and you aren't sure which label is the right one for what you are asking permission for, then you may have to email every single label and explain the situation.

The following emails are what I suggest as templates for your two emails:

TO THE BAND / ARTIST:

Quote:
Dear (band / artist name).

My name is (your name). I'm wondering if I could have a minute of your time to request permission to use (songs / whatever) in a free online rhythm game called FlashFlashRevolution. The website is www.flashflashrevolution.com.

FFR is an online rhythm based game where you hit arrows in time with music. The music is streamed and both the game and music cannot be downloaded. FFR was started in 2002 and we currently have 25,000 active players and 46,000 monthly unique visitors.

The full list of artists we have permission for can be seen in the following link:

May I just take a moment to say that FFR is a free-to-play website and FFR does not earn any money from these songs. We do not sell or redistribute the music either. Your music will not be sold or made available for download.

I feel that if we got your permission to use your songs on our website then we would be able to get more people into your music and that we would have some incredible files for people to play.

I understand that you are with (record label) and I have sent an email to them as well to request this permission, but I thought it would be fair to email you as well, especially as this is your music I am requesting. I am especially interested in (song / album) and hope that you can give permission for us to use it or tell me what way I should go about requesting this permission from your record label.

I just want to repeat that we will not make any money out of this. If you give us permission then we will buy the (album / song) ourselves. As well as that, with your (song / album) in FFR you will get free publicity and hopefully more people will come to appreciate your music as I do.

In conclusion, I am writing for permission to use (song / album) on FlashFlashRevolution.com. You do not have to permit everything I've asked for, even a song or two would be greatly appreciated.

If you have any more questions regarding my request, or have any other questions at all then please email me at the following address:

(your email)

Yours Sincerely,

(your name)
TO THE RECORD LABEL:

Quote:
Dear (record label).

May I just take a moment to say that FFR is a free-to-play website and FFR does not earn any money from these songs. We do not sell or redistribute the music either. If any permission is given then we will buy the albums / songs ourselves and we don't make any money out of this. On the other hand, the artists you allow permission for will get free publicity on our website and it may entice more people to buy their albums.

I feel that if we got your permission to use your songs on our website then we would have some incredible files for people to play. Permission for even one or two songs from one artist would still be greatly appreciated.

In conclusion, I am writing for permission to use (song / album / artist) on FlashFlashRevolution.com. However, as I've said, you do not have to permit everything I've asked for, even a song or two from any artist would be greatly appreciated.

(your email)

Yours Sincerely,

(your name)

Step Three and ¾: Artists / Groups that require Japanese Translation

We now have a Japanese-translated version of the template (thanks to Jimerax for providing translation and XelNya for rediscovering it), that can assist in reaching out to those that may use Japanese as a first language. As with other templates, it is editable, but do keep in-mind that you should consider the accuracy of any edits made to the template, such-as the Author's name / Label name, as well as any music content that might be in Japanese or otherwise.

Reminder that when sending out copies of the template, that you're copying the URL links correctly within the template. (right-click the link, copy link address, paste. Copying just the text may cause it to substitute dots or shortening that will break the link.)

TO THE BAND / ARTIST:

Quote:
[ARTIST NAME HERE]、

はじめまして、[YOUR NAME HERE]と申します。
FlashFlashRevolution(FFR)というゲームでの貴殿の楽曲の使用許可につきましてお伺いしたく存じます。

以下サイトの説明になりますが、ホームページはこちらになります。
https://www.flashflashrevolution.com/

FFRは無料のオンラインゲームで、DDRのように流れてくる矢印を音楽に合わせてキーボードを叩くゲームです。2002年に開設され、現在180万人以上のユーザーがいます。

こちらが今まで楽曲の使用許可をいただきましたアーティストの一覧です。
https://www.flashflashrevolution.com...d.php?t=140821

ゲームはどなたでも無料でプレイでき、有料コンテンツはありません。楽曲はフラッシュ化されるため、曲データを直接ダウンロードはできないようになっております。

サイトの説明が長くなりましたが、貴殿の楽曲につきまして、可能な範囲で構いませんので、FFRでの使用についてご許可いただけましたら幸いです。

(*)

もし何かご質問がありましたら、こちらのメールアドレスまでご連絡いただいてよろしいでしょうか。
[EMAIL ADDRESS USED TO SEND THE REQUEST HERE]

最後までお読みいただきありがとうございました。
それでは、ご返信の程お待ちしております。

敬具
[YOUR NAME HERE]

----------------------------------------------

Insert this these in (*) section, if needed (song list). You can just reply with this list when the artist ask about it.
----------------------------------------------
現時点で、もし可能でしたらこれらの楽曲を使用させていただきたいと考えております。
[LIST OF SONGS YOU'D WANT HERE.]
-----------------------------------------------

This is frequently asked material that can be added beforehand too.
Song name, artist's name, the link for your site will be credited on the song list page in FFR.

曲名、アーティスト名、ホームページのリンクに関してはサイト内にクレジットさせていただきます。
Step Four: Results

This is the most important part, how will everything turn out. There are various possibilities and I'll cover as many as I can.

1. An independent artist / band says yes to your request.

If this is the case, well done. You've got a permission! Now, to verify your permission, you should post a screenshot of your emails (sent to and from), along with a URL to the artist's website in this thread. Following that, if you wish to send an email thanking the artist/group, feel free to use this example:

Quote:
Dear (artist / band)

Thank you for your permission to use (whatever they offered). This is greatly appreciated and I'll let FFR know shortly. If you would like, once a song has been put into the game I can email you again to give you a link for the final result?

Again, I just want to say thank you for your permission.

Yours Sincerely,

(your name)
2. An independent artist / band says no to your request.

No worries, it happens. Still send them another email. Again a template for you:

Quote:
Dear (artist / band)

I'm sorry to hear that you won't give permission for (whatever) but I want to just thank you for replying to my email.

Good luck in the future and I look forward to future (songs / albums).

Yours Sincerely,

(your name)
3. An independent artist / band doesn't reply.

Give it at least a week. If you hear no reply then just send another email. Something along the lines of:

Quote:
Dear (artist / band)

I am writing to you again with regards to the email I sent you on (date) about permission for (song / album) to be used in our free online rhythm game at www.flashflashrevolution.com.

I understand that you must be very busy but if I could just have a moment of your time then I would really appreciate a reply to that email. Even if the email is only to say why you can or cannot give permission, that in itself would be enough.

Thanks again for your time and I hope to hear a reply shortly.

Yours Sincerely,

(your name)
4. A record label replies saying yes.

Again, congratulations, but still be polite and send another email to the record label, something like:

Quote:
Dear (record label / or person's name if someone personally emailed you)

Thank you very much for your permission to use (song / album / artist), I will let FFR know shortly. Once that happens we will start the process of getting steps put to the music and after a few months hopefully a file will be added to the game.

Once again I want to thank you for your permission and for taking the time to reply to my email.

Yours Sincerely,

(your name)
5. A record label replies saying no.

Quote:
Dear (record label / or person's name if someone personally emailed you)

I understand your reasons for not allowing permission but want to thank you for replying to my email.

I wish you and all of your artists the best of luck in the future.

Yours Sincerely,

(your name)
6. A record label doesn't reply.

This is probably the most likely case as most record labels are gay like that. If anything, you should still try to send a follow-up email:

Quote:
Dear (record label)

I am writing to you again with regards to the email I sent you on (date) about permission for (song / album / artist) to be used in our free online rhythm game at www.flashflashrevolution.com.

I understand that you must be very busy but if I could just have a moment of your time then I would really appreciate a reply to that email. Even if the email is only to say why you can or cannot give permission, that in itself would be enough.

Thanks again for your time and I hope to hear a reply shortly.

Yours Sincerely,

(your name)

And there you have it. When asking for permissions, always, ALWAYS remember the most important parts:

- Be polite.
- Be accurate in what you want.
- Email everyone involved with the song / artist to increase your chances of a reply and also out of politeness.

Copyright, Permission, Public Domain and You

Information from this section was taken from this thread.

It's been suggested that as a general service to the stepfile making population of the site, that an overview of how copyright works with respect to permissions for FFR would be a good idea.

Speaking generally, any work created by somebody, especially artistic works or "works of the mind" (That's music, literature, etc) is their property and cannot be used without their express permission. With regards to FFR this generally must take the form of express written consent, and may need to be doublechecked by requiring the person claiming to have recieved such consent to put the site administration in touch with the artist to confirm that permission was given.

FFR will not use any music that is someone else's intellectual property without such consent.

This doesn't mean, however, that every piece of music you could possibly want to use requires permission from the artist. Copyright is not permanant in any area of the world that I know of, and eventually, all works enter what is called "The Public Domain"

Works in the public domain can be used by anybody for any reason without any need to seek permission.

The primary legal concept dealing with entry of works into the public domain is called the "Berne Convention" It is an agreement that has been signed by 163 different countries, including every major country I believe has any likely chance to have generated music we'd want to step for FFR.

The basic premise of the Berne Convention as it regards music says this:

1/ Countries can set the length of copyright to anything they want as long as it is NOT LESS THAN 50 YEARS AFTER THE DEATH OF THE AUTHOR,

2/ The copyright law applies in the country that the work is being used in now, regardless of where it originated

3/ None of the countries are allowed to require formal registration of copyright to grant copyright protection

So, for our purposes, anything that was made by someone who died FROM JANUARY 1st 1958 AND ON IS COPYWRITTEN AND YOU MUST GET PERMISSION TO USE no matter who made it, where you live, where they lived, anything. If they died from 1958 on, automatically you need permission to use it.

But as point 1/ suggests, countries can extend this further if they are so inclined, and in fact many (read: most of them) have extended that minimum from 50 years to 70 years (This covers the United States, and the Entire European Union from the get go) That means ANYTHING PUBLISHED BY SOMEONE WHO DIED FROM 1938 ON IS PROTECTED and you must get permission to use it.

As you'd expect, there are naturally exceptions to this, depending on when the countries signed on to the Berne Convention, and older stuff has seperate laws, so I'm going to go through a couple countries with specific differences from the 70 year standard.

United States - 70 years after death for anything published after 1978. 95 years after publication, or 120 years after creation whichever is shorter, for anything anonymously published or made for hire since 1978. Anything published before 1923 is public domain regardless of the circumstances around its publication

Canada - 50 years after death, as per Berne, not extended to 70

The whole EU - A flat 70 years after death of the artist

Japan - 50 years, as per Berne, not extended to 70

France - 74 years, 272 days; 100 years for anything copywritten by somebody who died actively in service in either world war

India - 60 years after death

Mexico - 75 years after death

Spain - 80 years after death (between 1879-1987) 70 otherwise

United Kingdom - 70 except for music, which is 50

So pretty much universally, anything made by someone who died after 1958 is protected, and anything between 1938-1958 will depend on the country you live in.

That covers the legality surrounding simply using somebody's song with FFR. But then we get into the issue of remixes, and the permissions surrounding those.

The primary legal term with regards to remixes is "Fair Use" which governs the legal ability of someone to use copyrighted material without permission from the holder of the copyright.

Remember, Fair Use isn't a legal state, it's a legal defense. Falling under the usual definition of fair use doesn't make you immune to being sued, it just counts as one of the ways you could defend against a lawsuit. So don't think that fair use makes you immune to legal problems.

Fair use is an element of copyright law that, as of yet, is still pretty unique to the United States, but then since Berne Convention countries (pretty much everybody) respect the copyright laws of the country where the use is taking place, rather than where the work came from, and FFR is American, generally fair use will apply.

There are four aspects of your use that are considered when fair use comes up:

1/ the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes.

Basically, the less money you intend to make from using it, and the more contributory and useful your use is, the more likely it is to be ruled fair use. If you are intending to advance knowledge or the progress of the arts, you're in good shape. If your use is transformative rather than derivative, you are probably engaging in fair use.

2/ the nature of the copyrighted work

You're more likely to find a ruling of fair use if the work is non-fictional since the information involved can be arguably better off freely available for the public good. Works of fiction are harder to suggest why you should be able to supercede their copyright. It would seem to me, though I'm no lawyer, that with regards to music, this is a very minor concern compared to 1/

3/ The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole

A 10-second sample used in a remix of a 5 minute song is much better than taking the entire song and say, adding cowbell. The less of the original you use the better.

4/ the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work

If your remix is in the same style and genre as the original, and you're planning on selling it as an album of remixes of that artist, chances are you aren't engaging in fair use, because you're likely going to damage the market for sales of the original. Using some classical music in a hardcore death metal remix? Probably okay.

So that's fair use. Once again, this is a legal defense, not a legal protection. You're ALWAYS better off contacting the artist of the work for permission than to simply remix and assume you are safe.

The effect of this though, is that when we want to use work by remixers, if we have their permission to use their remix, we have a legal defense of the assumption that their work falls under fair use, and that if anybody tried to claim legally that we can stolen their work via remix, we could direct them to the artist whose remix we used, and have them argue fair use.

I get the feeling that I've messed up some comparative numbers with regards to works produced by a certain year by people who've died by a certain other year, so if anything here seems off to you, or you want some more in depth explanation, please just let me know, and I'll do my best to fix it up.

Last edited by gold stinger; 07-30-2023 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: Nicovideo also courtesy of Ghakimx
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote