View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 01:04 PM   #636
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2018 albums halp

Day 435: Good Morning Spider by Sparklehorse (Album Choice: vaguelyhumanoid)

I'm so lazy as to not wanna listen to the majority of the canon, but here we go. I'm interrupting my 50th consecutive loop of Midnight In A Perfect World for this, so guesstimate my mood.

That first song made my expectations way too high. I came into this expecting a bunch of sadsack shit, but then got greeted with a wonderful, pop-punky lo-fi treat... and then it went right into a bunch of sadsack shit. I don't mean that disparagingly, I just wanted way more like the first song, and it really doesn't even get close, a little bit of fuzz doesn't match that energy and maybe like 3 or 4 of these songs even have that fuzz, the rest is acoustic and orchestrated like an indie band would. Many of these songs are pretty, for sure (here comes the obligatory list: the slow folk-popper Sunshine, muffled chamber dirge Come On In, orchestrated lullaby Hundreds of Sparrows, and beautifully spare closer Junebug are some of only a few highlight) but I expected more variance.

Damn, this is like that Sweet Trip album where one song stands over all the others so obviously. Wait, I didn't make that clear in my review of that album? Well, now I am, and guess which one it is, because it's obvious. Anyways, back to this, yeah, I needed more aggressive fuzz because actually, revisiting, these other fuzzy songs kinda suck... Especially Sick Of Goodbyes which is throwaway pop to me. Happy Man is aight I suppose. And the little interludes also do nothing for me. That leaves the mopey songs I was ragging on earlier, but honestly, the good ones make for a pretty decent album. Reviewing canon shit usually sucks out the ass, this time it sucked a LITTLE bit less I think.

I like to harp on one thing over and over again.

Best Track: Pig
Rating: 7/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.

Last edited by rayword45; 01-23-2018 at 01:04 PM..
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote