View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #150
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: fuck Georgia

Quote:
once again, men and women want this in equal amounts. it's a women's issue but not a men's vs women's issue. thanks for ya time
It has been a known and well understood thing for decades that people in an oppressed class will vote for their own oppression in the generally mistaken assumption that by proving themselves "one of the good ones" that the group oppressing them will make an exception for them. It is also a known and well understood thing that misogyny like homophobia is often internalized as a result of one's upbringing and even people who are voting directly against their own best interest can convince themselves of the rightness of their position even while it causes them direct harm.

The same percentage of men and women appear to support banning abortion according to Funny's poll results there. How many of those women do you think are currently married to those men? I would put money down that it is at least half of them, probably more.

Poor people frequently elect leaders whose policies directly harm poor people.

This is not new, or especially compelling as some kind of argument.

Quote:
Siding with sun fan here in that I don't think a typical pro-lifer lays down in bed at the end of the day and thinks "Hmm... what are some ways I can actively subjugate women tomorrow?"
No, they don't actively think that because they don't need to actively think that. Their entire belief system is built around it, so it happens as a consequence of their beliefs, and doesn't need to be consciously considered. This makes it worse not better.

Quote:
, I think yes, there is a link between the reasons why people oppose abortion and their faith.
Yes, it is that their faith is inherently oppressive to women.

Quote:
wft is this, uh this is a forum for a rhythm flash game. That being said I am extremely surprised that admins don't censor or ban controversial forum posts. I am actually quite supportive of that.
We've got to pay close attention to certain types of sensitive subjects, but as long as people are staying relatively civil, and engaging in good faith, there's no reason to lock the thread.

Quote:
I find it very difficult to believe that subjugating women is the primary motivation of typical people that identify as pro-life when there are much more simpler explanations.
I mean...when you look at the history of male-led sources of authority going back 2000 years, 'subjugating women' has basically been their primary goal all along. It -is- the simpler explanation.

Men in power want to keep power. Empowering women creates a whole new subset of people in competition with them. I mean...you've got people passing as intellectuals with huge followings of almost entirely men saying things like, the biggest damage done to our entire modern society was the creation of birth control, because it gave women control over their own reproduction, allowing them to take that control away from men.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote