View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #1068
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: The Fitness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senip View Post
Nothing I'm going to say to you is going to change your mind. Anything that you want badly enough, you'll accomplish: the question is, how badly do you want to do it? This takes years dude, it's not going to be a one day thing. You have to practice your ass off, literally, to get anywhere in life, and this is no different. It sounds to me like you're making excuses. "Oh, I can't do squats, so I guess I dont have to go to this gym!" You start at the bottom and you move weight until you reach the top, there is nobody out there that starts with perfect form.
It's not that I am unwilling to change my mind.

My concern is that I'm not physically equipped to handle squats yet. To use an analogy, it would be like a newbie looking at a billion videos on how to ride a bike or how to whistle. "Just keep your balance centered, and pedal!" "Just put your lips together, and blow!" To me, squats are like that. "Sit back more" doesn't mean anything to me because my attempts to sit back fail. I don't know how to "pretend you're sitting down on a chair that isn't there," because if I sit down on a chair that isn't there, I'm going to be falling onto my ass.

As a result, I end up with extremely sore knees and an inability to squat to parallel because I am pretty sure I'm doing it all wrong. That's where my frustration is. I don't know if it's because I'm literally doing the motion incorrectly and need to make some adjustment I haven't been able to figure out yet, or if it's because I physically can't do the motion due to insufficient muscle mass/strength.

I'm worried that I'm just going to be spinning my wheels, paying for a gym membership where I invest a great deal of energy, time, and money into exercises that I'm only getting some 40% efficiency from. On the other hand, I could stay at my in-apt gym for no additional cost and at least pump out some soreness from machines or dumbbells or something.

I'd *love* to squat, but it's pissing me off that I can't do them worth a damn. The bar, even by itself, is *heavy* to me, and I don't know if that's a sign I should start simpler or whatever. There's this huge range of possible motions I can go through by just "keeping my back straight, bend at the hips, sit back, don't let the knees go past the toes," etc, and so I don't know which way is the right way.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 10-26-2012 at 12:07 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote