View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #36
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto
Default Re: How do you live with death?

You say without religion, but I'd like to say Buddhism is extremely focused on the acceptance of and preparation for death, what powers life holds for us and working through our fears to find a deeper reality than we can simply analyze, by opening up our conciousness. I think there's a balance between being analytical and being in your heart, having intuition about death and being afraid of something we can't contol. Our fears surrounding death are very powerful for a reason, because when we finally get to that platform in our lives, what does everything mean? If our main fear is death, and we reach that point, what else is there to fear? There's a grasping going on constantly, there's some level of fear, because there is a lack of knowing. But what if death is supreme knowing? Sometimes it's easier to think that consciousness will cease when you die, because this is all we "know." We see people die and they lose consciousness, their body no longer moves, but isn't it still alive? Atoms, molecules, the fabric of reality and all still persists. So what is the driving force behind everything, the universe, right? And aren't we deeply connected to it, being part of it in the most direct of ways? There may be fear in you about losing your personal life, losing everything you worked for, having it all be for nothing. But every moment is new for you to come closer to doing/becoming something you really love, getting closer to who you really are, having realizations. The longer we stay in the background and ignore death, we miss out on the fruits of our heartache, on the insight we get when we ask big questions. I believe that there isn't one question you can't ask yourself and in some way find a truth.

Honestly, myself, I used to think about death almost constantly. I still think about it often, but not nearly the way I did in a supremely depressed state, dealing with the fact that everything I know would some day come to an end. Now, it's almost comforting. Actually, now thinking about death isn't hard for me at all. What's harder for me is hoping that other people think about the same things I do and we will ultimately come to a mutual understanding through all of humanity and learn to cease the madness through love. I think that's the most important thing. Although there is a lot of bullshit to get through, I don't think anything is impossible and I believe there's a bright future for all of us, regardless of if death really is the end. What's more important is living life to its fullest and being there for all other living things.

btw I am not buddhist, just advocating buddhist teachings for this subject that have helped me in my everyday life. I'm not religious per se, I'm more of a pantheist. life has soooo much to offer, I hope we can all get past our personal problems and the universe/god will shed light on our existence, and it will be beautiful. In fact I believe that is inevitable, with what amount I've seen in my life, that death isn't the end

BTW again, I suggest looking up dharma, and hindu philosophies for everyday life, along with most other religions, they give a good outline. basically work for the highest good
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.

Last edited by Syhto; 02-14-2012 at 03:22 PM..
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote