View Single Post
Old 05-25-2004, 01:20 AM   #1
perfect_fat
FFR Player

Default Simply put... your life is a lie.

Look around you. None of what you see is real but yourself.

For thousands of years, people have searched within themselves to find meaning in this existence. Most have failed. The ones who succeeded were simply deluding themselves, creating religions and philosophies simply to bring control over their existence, to end their quest for true knowledge with a lie. A lie they convinced themselves to believe.

Many famous philosophers are credited with these "great insights" when in fact, most of them are utter bullshit. Simply a shot of morphine to cool their feverish minds. Today, we have a more tangible meaning of life that all of us follow. That philosophy is consumerism.

We were all born into a world, where we had a box with a glass screen flashing images at us, encouraging us to purchase an assortment of products from toys to dish soap. These ideas became a part of us at a young age.

This is the modern equivalent to attending church, though millions still refuse to acknowledge it.

Somebody told me today, to make something of my life. I thought for a moment, what does that really mean. They don't know me, they don't know if I have the mental capacity to do something artistically or culturally. They don't know anything about me for that matter. They simply know that I work at KFC.

Now, what could they have possibly meant by saying to make something of my life. There is only one conclusion that I could come to. To make more money, so I can buy more stuff.

People are judged in our society by how much they make, own and what it says on their bank statements. Simply put, we equate success with a substantial sum of money and possessions, and failure with a lack thereof. In days long ago, you did not have an oppurtunity to gain wealth if you were not born into it. There was a ruling class that controlled the currency, and many of them remain the ruling class today. Our society, which has been dubbed "freedom", has changed all of this.

Today, our lives revolve around material possessions. Ironically, mantras of those who are comfortable in life often equate money to being worthless, and success a measure of your overall emotional state. Yet, these people are as deluded as Rousseau or DesCartes. These same people feel the same urges we all do. The urge to buy more, to have more, to keep getting more until we have everything that we need.

For some people, they do reach that goal. They make millions of dollars doing what they have chosen to do and never worry about money again. For the vast, vast majority of us, we end up in dead end jobs to pay the rent and buy groceries. We live in a society where the poor are shunned and looked down upon, even though the working class is what makes this country run.

Every morsel of food that you have bought at the grocery store was produced in a factory. Factory workers often have a high school diploma at most. These products are then forkilifted onto a truck by another poor person, and driven to wherever by a "lowly" truck driver for your convenience.

Our entire lives are a paradox. You are told to be rich and famous, yet the entire world depends on the "failures" in life to run. Without a large, healthy working class, this world is nothing. Who will package and transport our food? Who will clean our sewers and our streets? Who will build our homes, replace our siding, tile our roofs?

If we all had millions of dollars, none of us would work. Maybe some would for the sake of the country, but not enough to make a significant difference. If we were all allowed to pursue the so-called "American Dream", our entire lives would be more worthless and empty than they are now. Without the poor to take advantage of and oppress, where are we left? There are no more goods and services to be provided. Our money becomes as worthless as the paper it is printed on.

The entire world can not have wealth, because that would cause discomfort, in the end, for everybody. Why then, why, do we look down upon those that work these shit jobs for our benefit? We cook your food, we pump your gas, we are your doormen, your cab drivers. We make you pizza, we bring you beer, we care for your children, and what do we receive in turn? Insults, humiliation and contempt.

Everything you see around you was produced by somebody, probably making close to minimum wage. Your success, failure, or that of your parents' isn't real. Simply a societal illusion based on greed.

The "worthless losers" are in fact, the most valuable members of society. Without them, you would have nothing, and what you have, is at their expense. Their blood, second degree burns, workplace deaths and the like, all to create a product for you to buy, to help you attempt to complete your meaningless existence.

I once meant an adamant anti-consumerism advocate, he went into great detail about owning every issue of adbusters and having the no-logo sneakers. Consumerism has seeped into every pore of our society, and it exists on the basis that you must not fail in attaining wealth, while those who do fail, perpetuate the system that has inevitably failed them.

This great pursuit of useless shit even affects those at the bottom. They have even more desire for it, because it is so far from their reach.

Those goods around you mean nothing, except for oppression and broken dreams. Every time you eat at a restaurant, somebody in the kitchen is calling you an asshole for making him/her cook while they're trying to close up so they can go home for the night. Sometimes your food is dropped on the ground, WHOOPS!

So next time you glance upon these "losers" with an air of superiority and contempt, wonder to yourself if they've ever made your life better. If they wear shitty clothes because their boss wants to keep labour costs down. If they've ever risked their life, or their well-being to do their job right.

Everything around you, from your computer, to your bed, is just a stolen dream, a lie, in material form.
perfect_fat is offline   Reply With Quote