View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #30
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Survey: Define "good" music.

A continuation of this post.

0. What is/are your favorite genre(s)?

Mainly classical music. I can really listen to anything though and enjoy most music. Certainly appreciate it.

2. Are you biased against some genres because of the fans they tend to attract?

Partially. The fans describe the music by their overall personality more than the music describing who the fans are.

3a. Do you make assumptions about fans of particular genres?
3b. What are some of the stereotypes you are familiar with?
3c. What stereotypes exist about fans of your preferred genre?

I try not to, but it certainly leave first impressions. Stereotypes include mainly what everyone else mentioned.

4. What role does a band/artist/genre's popularity play in your like or dislike for them/hir/it?

Popularity play hardly any significance in my choices for music. It is great to appreciate a popular artist, but sometimes there are better music sung/performed by someone else unheard of. I give everyone a chance to impress me musically whether they are popular or not.

7. Do you judge artists/bands on their entire body of work, or on a song-by-song basis?

Honestly, I would say both. On a song-to-song basis, I try to relate to the song regardless of who performs it. If it manages to persuade me to appreciate their work, I acknowledge that artist/band. If they have a repertoire of music that I enjoy listening to while being able to relate with it, that is what makes me like them and essentially, become a "fan" of them. Same goes for artists who I don't like.

8. Do you consider your choice of music part of your identity, image or public persona?

Of course. I always viewed music as a versatile mean to understanding who you are versus math seen as a versatile mean to understanding how the world functions. This is why music is the art and math is the science that I highly appreciate. They make the world open to so much interpretation based on a personal standpoint, which makes life worth living. Appreciate what you are given.

9. Have you ever made choices in music based on what your peers might think of you? (For example, do you avoid a certain genre because your friends think it is without merit? Do you listen to genres you don't particularly like because your friends like them?, etc.)

Of course not. No peer determines who I am. That's unfair.

10a. How do you feel/react when someone states an opinion contrary to yours regarding music in general?
10b. What about particular songs/artists/genres?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, so it is completely understandable. It just shows that they view music differently. No one has the correct view of music. Similarly with artists/genres.

11. Do you have formal musical training? (Such as receiving singing lessons, playing an instrument, etc.)

I have played the violin for eight years, sung for a long time, and self taught myself to play piano by ear occasionally. I plan on taking singing lessons in the future when I have the time. I also plan on picking up acoustic guitar.

12. Who influences your choice of music most? How do you find new music? Through which channels? Through advertising/word of mouth/YouTube/reviews/other?

Long answer short, the people who I love. This includes myself.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to answer the second question. Basically through any form of advertisement or through the people I love.

13a. Have your tastes or preferences changed over time?
13b. If not, why not?
13c. If yes, in what way?

We all change. I'm sure my tastes and preferences have changed. Seems too minuscule to notice though.

14. Anything you'd like to add on this subject? Any other questions you wish I'd posed?

Overall, to me, music can describe essentially anything words cannot describe. Not only does it serves this purpose, but it does it so elegantly that one should appreciate the work of the composer. This is why music is beautiful in my opinion.

Music also does a good job expressing who I am.

Seems like you've addressed all of the very interesting questions that I can think of. I'll let you know if I come up with anything. Maybe ask a question related to music and one's emotions?

Last edited by iironiic; 03-14-2012 at 01:04 PM..
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote