View Single Post
Old 08-5-2014, 01:26 AM   #74
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

Day 35: Kveikur by Sigur Ros (Album Choice: Lord of Sushi)

This is another band on the long list of bands and artists whom I wish to seek out to see what all the hype is about, but never feel like getting around to it. This one piqued my interest for, besides the obvious reasons of /mu/ hype, usage of bowed guitar. That's a technique that still totally baffles me, but bands like Sonic Youth and The Jesus Lizard use prepared guitars with shit like screwdrivers and drumsticks, and those both rank among my favorite bands, so I expect good things out of that. I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but when it comes to post-rock, it's either stunning (Slint, some parts of GY!BE) or really boring (Talk Talk, yes I've said it, piss off).

Day 27 of the pledge: Nothing new

So, apart from a cool industrial opening that sounds like a cross between Nine Inch Nails and Cocteau Twins and a boring instrumental closer, this album sounded exactly how I expected it to sound. Post-Rock with more pop sensibility and ambient bits, sort of like a cross between Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Cocteau Twins and mum. I'm really only naming Cocteau Twins because the vocals are another case of "What the fuck are they saying?", the music isn't all that similar.

Not a bad album, not at all bad. I'll return to these guys later to explore a bit more.

Best Track: Brennistein
Rating: 7/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote