View Single Post
Old 07-18-2015, 06:20 PM   #6
Trumpet63
Mostly Ignored
Skill Rating Designer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Computer Programming - Advice/Help Please!

11-hour video teaching the basics of Python:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uq3w6JJS00

I wouldn't be too eager to decide your future so early on. If you keep sitting around and thinking that what language you choose to start with is like the most important decision of your life, you'll never actually do anything.

Necessity is the mother of invention as well. You won't have any fun coding unless you can think of projects you want to try out.

Also, what I've learned from a friend of mine who probably knows about 8 programming languages, learning a particular language is not the destination; there are tons of different ways to accomplish the same thing with different languages, and you probably won't ever have to worry about a "right language to use". Eventually you'll start asking yourself questions like "I know how to do this, but how do you do that in (insert language here)," and then you Google it, and then you'll know how to do that thing.

Side tangent about laziness, I dropped out of high school in tenth grade, got my GED, and just recently got my two-year-degree at a community college with a 3.8 GPA... because... in college, homework isn't always mandatory. In college, if you know all the material, you get an A. At least, that's how it should work, and I'm perfectly fine if people call not wanting to do busy-work laziness.
2014 October 7th 1:03 AM

Zageron: Trumpet
Trumpet63: yes, im here
Zageron: You have a problem.
Trumpet63 is offline   Reply With Quote