View Single Post
Old 07-18-2015, 01:06 AM   #1
whalleydesert
FFR Player

Default Computer Programming - Advice/Help Please!

(The first paragraph is irrelevant to the question, I won't blame you if you skip it).

All throughout my life I have been very apathetic and laid back. I'm the kind of guy who hasn't done his homework since fifth grade, hasn't participated in the science fair EVER even though it counted a lot as a grade, and quit out of my school's gifted program because I didn't feel like doing the first homework assignment. I felt like if I got 95 - 100's on tests and major tests, I would be allowed to get away with being lazy. It worked, and it is still working, even going into my sophomore year this year. All that being said, of course I regret those decisions. I have always regarded my younger self to be idiotic and irrational, but not until now have I felt that way due to my academic decisions. I have not taken my grades seriously all this time, and I am now worried about my chances of getting into a good college like MIT (I know it's a long shot regardless). This year I am going to try my best to turn it around. I am going to try to do all my classwork, homework, study, ATTEMPT a sport (i'm shy), get back into gifted classes, and most importantly, learn programming, which brings me to why I am composing this thread.

I have been somewhat interested in programming for about two years now, but I have not really attempted to learn it thus far. I enrolled in my high school's class named "intro to digital technology" but we were only instructed in a small amount of HTML towards the end of the course. I am at a crossroad at the moment. I do not know whether I should learn client side, server side, or (if there is another type) another type of programming.. I would like to know of the existence of any articles that explain which one generally makes more income, or about which is used more, and which is more likely to have job openings as well as which is more likely to be innovative in the future. I would also like your opinion on which programming language (or combination of languages) you prefer and why. I would also like to know of any websites or programs that can help me with learning programming. They can be free or cost money.

I would be VERRRRRYYYYYY APPRECIATIVE of anyone who advises me on this, as it may help me find my way in life.
whalleydesert is offline   Reply With Quote