View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #46
megamon88
aka Assertive
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Re: Music Works In Progress Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KgZ View Post
obviously a still image on a spectrum doesn't do it quite justice, but here's the problem I hear:

All the bass is landing in the 20-40hz range, a place where generally you can't really hear that kind of bass unless you have a subwoofer. So that's probably why if people who are listening to your music on subs say it's too bassy, this is why. Most headphones lack bass, which it shows in the mix you have presently.

I think you will find greater results if you start mixing all of your audible low frequencies around the 60hz-200hz range. Usually my kick is in the 60-100hz (depending on the genre I'm composing), and everything else should be filled with bass where the kick isn't. In dubstep, kicks are usually in 100hz, and the bass fills the rest.

Leave the lower hz for sub-basses. The meat of the growl sound in particular lands exactly at 40hz.
I actually high-passed the growl at 100 Hz, so the 40Hz sound you're hearing is the sub. I guess I'll turn down the sub and up the growl then? Also I boosted the sub a lot so that's probably why it's so loud lol